Feeding for weight gain?

firedragon1982

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I want to enter some of my rabbits into some shows starting in January. One of my bucks I want to show is a senior by age, but for weight would need to gain about half a pound to be at the minimum weight. He is a standard rex, and for the last month and a half had been fluctuating between 6 lbs 13 oz and 7 lbs 3 oz. Senior min weight is 7 lbs 8 oz, so if I can get him to gain at least half a pound he'd be pretty safe.

I've tried increasing his pellets, but usually there are pellets left over in the morning. He has free access to hay, and gets the occasional treat. But that half pound is ever elusive. Any other high cal things I can give him?

Bunnylady

Herd Master
Reaction score
Have you considered the fact that this rabbit is / just may be too small framed for the breed standard ?

This. There is a very common problem among the Rex these days, a thing referred to by some as a "Midi Rex." We have the standard Rex, and the Mini Rex, but there seem to be a lot of rabbits that fall between the two breeds size-wise. They may be the result of crosses between the two breeds, or they may be purebreds whose parents were pushing one end of the scale.

Making the weight is only part of the equation. If this animal is properly filled out at his current weight, then any additional flesh will be fat, and a fat rabbit gets marked down on the show table. Judges don't just look, they touch, and what the judge feels counts at least as much as what his eyes tell him when assessing an animal.

firedragon1982

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
This. There is a very common problem among the Rex these days, a thing referred to by some as a "Midi Rex." We have the standard Rex, and the Mini Rex, but there seem to be a lot of rabbits that fall between the two breeds size-wise. They may be the result of crosses between the two breeds, or they may be purebreds whose parents were pushing one end of the scale.

Making the weight is only part of the equation. If this animal is properly filled out at his current weight, then any additional flesh will be fat, and a fat rabbit gets marked down on the show table. Judges don't just look, they touch, and what the judge feels counts at least as much as what his eyes tell him when assessing an animal.

Yes that thought had crossed my mind, however looking at his parents weights, they were solidly built, 8.5 for sire, 9.5 for dam. He feels a bit thin when compared at all my other rabbits, and I know the judge feels them up for body condition. I may be "new" to showing rabbits as an adult, but have been to plenty with my mom and brother growing up when I didn't want to show rabbits, I was horse crazy and didn't want to be like them. I weighed him tonight, he's at 7 lb 6 oz... He's slowly getting there. I wonder if he's just slow to mature.

Bunnylady

Herd Master
Reaction score
I haven't any experience trying to fill 'em out; mine are mostly small breeds that I have to work to keep the weight off!:rolleyes:But if your buck feels thin, I'm taking that to mean that he's a bit short on muscle on his back. That's a tough one to remedy. I know a lot of people will feed grain as a supplement; for some reason barley comes to mind? Also wheat germ, but I don't know how much. Another thing I have heard suggested for building muscle is to put a board across the middle of the rabbit's cage, with the water on one side and the food on the other. In theory, jumping back and forth over the board will help build muscle mass.

Latest posts