Feeding Goat Kids

pigeongirl

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I have a 5-6 week old Alpine goat and I just started giving pellets How much should I give him? And should I be worried if he isnt eating hay? Should I limit the amount of grass he gets? Also how much milk should he be getting he gets a bottle in the morning with 1 quart and 1 quart at night

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
By pellets do you mean alfalfa pellets, or a goat chow of some kind? I would give maybe a 1/2 to start. I would just put hay in front of him and let him decide when he wants to eat it, and he will eventually. Make sure he has water too. As far as the grass I would watch for bloat if it is green grass and gradually increase the amount of time you let him graze. I think he is getting plenty of milk. Usually 20 oz. a feeding but 3 x a day but it still comes out to about 60 oz. a day.

pigeongirl

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
They are Dumor goat pellets and after being in the barn with him today I found out he dosnt like to eat in a bowl on the ground and he will eat out of a hanging bowl and he is know eating the pelets. And as for the grazing he is ussally out in the grass for 2 hours a day and today he was out for about 3 hours. Also after being in the barn today it looks like he has ear mites. Can goats get ear mites?

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yes, goats get ear mites, but I am not sure how to treat them.

That is a good feed for a buck or wether as it contains ammonium chloride to prevent urinary calculi. I wouldn't give a lot of feed at first, let him get used to it. I would continue to offer hay, he'll eat it eventually.