Feeding goats?

AClark

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
They told me on the cubes to feed around 5 lbs to start with and adjust from there, but it would probably be less as his cattle get 10 lbs per day.
The pellet bag has recommended feeding but I didn't look too closely at it - so much per 100 lbs.

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
We use alfalfa pellets.
The goats can chew those easily.
And really, you can just feed the Bermuda, or Bermuda supplemented with feed, or during lactation Bermuda, feed and alfalfa pellets. That's a lot of what we did this year.
I have fed alfalfa hay in the past, but all of the local grown was really crappy this year. And, I can't stand $17-$20 for a square bale.

@AClark
How much are round bales of Bermuda there?

AClark

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Round bales of bermuda are $40. I'm getting 2 2 year old does, never been bred. They were a teenaged girls pets and she stopped showing interest in them. They wanted to throw in a LGD to go with them but I don't need another dog.

They also had 65# bales of alfalfa for $7 each, but they are outside and it snowed here last week, so I figured dry stored grass was probably better.

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
They look very nice.

Congratulations :thumbsup

I thought of another question.

What kind of hay were they being fed at their old home?

AClark

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I'm not sure if they were feeding hay at all. He brought me the rest of their bag of feed, which was 12% pelleted sweet feed. Whatever they were feeding must have been enough as they are a good weight. I'm going to give them some alfalfa pellets tonight and start some cubes in the morning - pretty sure they're going to turn their noses up at the pellets, they've been picking at old dried up weeds in their pasture all day.