Feeding kid questions

DaSouthernYankee

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I bring home my two doelings tomorrow, they’ll be three days old and bottle fed for a while.
I’m wondering when y’all introduce grain, minerals, and hay?

I’ve done tons of research but there’s a lot of conflicting methods. I know everyone probably finds what works best for their goats but is there a general rule of thumb? Let me hear your feeding schedules!!

Also should I provide water to bottle babies? Or when do I begin doing so?

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
I start kids on free choice grain (feed) & hay at about a week old. You can start minerals then as well.

They should always have water 24/7. Even young kids will drink water. Use a very shallow bucket or dish that they cannot fall into.

These babies are about 10 days old in this pic. They had just been out with me running/playing/doing baby goat things. Once I put them back in their pen they all went for a drink of water. This a 2 quart bucket, they soon had an upgrade :)
IMG_4283.JPG

DaSouthernYankee

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I start kids on free choice grain (feed) & hay at about a week old. You can start minerals then as well.

They should always have water 24/7. Even young kids will drink water. Use a very shallow bucket or dish that they cannot fall into.

These babies are about 10 days old in this pic. They had just been out with me running/playing/doing baby goat things. Once I put them back in their pen they all went for a drink of water. This a 2 quart bucket, they soon had an upgrade :) View attachment 54469
They are precious!!! And thank you for your input. It’s been a little rainy so I’m thinking I’ll have them stay inside for a week at nights and they can play outside with me during the day.

Glad I went and bout grain and minerals today! Had to skip hay since it’s raining and I didn’t want it to get wet and mold but I can grab a bale tomorrow for their outdoor area.