Feeding mini Jersey

MiniSheep

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Just wondering...what would be a good feed regiment for a miniature jersey cow calf pair (cow about 700lb) not pushing for milk production? I have about six months of good grass and six months of cold winter.
Thanks!

WolfeMomma

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Im not an expert on cattle in anyway but We have beef cows and I plan to find a good source of quality hay to let them have free choice of all winter, they will also be fed a stocker and grower grain.
Im not sure what types of grain they have for dairy cattle? maybe look in to that and good quality hay!

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Buy a LOT of hay if you will be keeping both cow & calf. Do you plan to milk her? If so quality hay and probably a grain supplement would be good.

I would love a cow -- at least the romantic thoughts of owning & milking. Then, my goats take care of the milk & less feed, easier to clean after.

So I have resisted the purchase of some great jersey cows, milk trained, some even bred....plus a local, tame bull. I have been strong!! :D I keep telling myself, cut the Xtra pasture and don't buy cows. Have had them in past and great meat, just not what I need now. What I need to do is go help someone milk a few days -- that would stop me from thinking beyond goats (which I do milk & love).