• How to bottle feed them?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Am I doing things right

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Hens and Roos

Herd Master
Reaction score
Welcome, can you provide a little more information...were the kids with the dam or started on a bottle from birth?
How long have you had them? What type of nipple are you using? What type of milk or formula are you using? How are the kids acting...up and moving, crying etc? Is the inside of their mouth warm(don't feed if their mouth's aren't warm-they need to be warm) and will they suck on your finger?

tagging other @Goat Whisperer @babsbag @Southern by choice @Wehner Homestead @OneFineAcre

New to kids

Herd lurker
Reaction score
Yes they were with her but she is acting weird around them and I put them in there own area since before birth due to i have 5 other females and 2 very playful pot belly pigs in the same area. So for mommy and babies i separated her but now she trying everything to get out of there but I don't want her to neglect them so I brought them inside so I could bottle feed them. I got the nipples from our local tractor supply that you put over a bottle and I bought baby bottles too. I got the goat replacement milk for the kids that they recommended I make sure it's warm a hold them close but they fight me to feed them but they are hungry they are chewing on my skin and cloth I'm new at this and need any advice I can get to help them. I have only had my goats for about 3 months and she was pregnant when I got her and not sure if any of the others are too. They are Nigerian dwarf goats born June 10th. Any help will be great How much How often and How to get them to take the bottle??? :bow
Welcome, can you provide a little more information...were the kids with the dam or started on a bottle from birth?
How long have you had them? What type of nipple are you using? What type of milk or formula are you using? How are the kids acting...up and moving, crying etc? Is the inside of their mouth warm(don't feed if their mouth's aren't warm-they need to be warm) and will they suck on your finger?

tagging other @Goat Whisperer @babsbag @Southern by choice @Wehner Homestead @OneFineAcre

New to kids

Herd lurker
Reaction score
Yes they are up moving around and yes there mouth is warm and wet they are acting I'm but I know they are hungry

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
You have a few options.
First you can let mom out and bring her in every 3 -4 hours and let them nurse. Long term though the kids need to be able to be out and run with mom. This I would try first if you had originally planned on dam raising.
The pigs really do present a problem. Some do keep pigs and goats together but from a disease perspective it is not something I would recommend. Dairy goats and pigs are a big no.
As well as your pigs may be fine with you but Pot Belly Pigs are still pics and cal kill and eat the kids. Sadly this happened to a friend of mine.

If you want to bottle raise why not milk the mom and use her milk? First, this is better for them, second sudden change is going to give tummy issues. Since they have already received their colostrum from their dam that is good... but I certainly would never recommend replacer. Goats really have a hard time with replacers. If absolutely necessary and you don't want to milk the dam then just use whole milk from the grocery store.

You can try the pritchard nipple (yellow ring with red nipple) or the clear silicone nipples, they work best for nigerians. Make sure they are hungry before you try. This will help them and you!
Sometimes you have to rub it on the top of their nose and see if they will open, sometimes you have to sheild their eyes so they think it's mom, and sometimes you have to put the nipple in and keep your hand on their mouth so they don't just spit it out. Once they get a few drops many will gladly take the bottle down. Never squirt it in their mouth, and never feed if the goats mouth is cold.

What is she doing that you say she is acting weird around them?
What are their weights?

Latest posts