Feeding oatmeal to goats to increase milk production?

Livinwright Farm

Goat Fancier
Reaction score
kstaven said:
Livinwright Farm said:
I can't say I've heard that one before... I know that clover, alfalfa, goats rue, thistle, stinging nettle, and fenugreek all aid in milk production :)
Only one problem with anything but small volumes of thistle. It messes up cheese production and acts like rennet in the milk. So you add normal volumes of rennet and the batch is destroyed.
yes, thistle is a milk coagulant... and should be kept in mind when making cheeses. my bad for not remembering to mention that.

Livinwright Farm

Goat Fancier
Reaction score
I will say, I had never before heard of that property of the herb happening just by feeding it to the goat, I have only ever heard of it being used in place of rennet in vegetarian cheese making.

kstaven

Purple Cow/Moderator
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Goats feasting on oregon grape around here can be an issue also. We know the time of year when they really get into it and adjust accordingly.

Cheese is one of those fascinating studies and after a while you get to understand why certain cheese is only produced from milk at a particular time of the year.

Georgia Girl

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Does it help?
I was told by a lady that has lots of dairy goats, to feed 2 cups grain to 2 cups whole oats (4cups) tow times a day plus hay. Where is live whole oats sell for 8-11.00 for a 50 lb. bag and my goats love them.