Feeding Practices ~ Cattle

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
It seems that if you ask 100 different farmers you'll get a 100 different answers on just about every subject and this subject is really no different.

So let's run a thread about our different feeding programs so that we can learn from each other's methods.

Welcome to all different methods of feeding: natural, homeopathic, commercial, custom, organic, etc.

Be sure to include what state / country / region that you are in.

What specifically are you feeding?
What are you adding to supplement it?
And how does your feeding program change seasonally?

Please include or edit to include the type(s) of cattle that you raise

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

No one is right or wrong on this thread - they are just true to their farm. This is a learn / share thread.

Learning requires questions and answers as well. So if you need clarification on someone's post please ask a question of them so everyone else can learn too.

This thread is open to civilized debate. As long as you don't state that you believe someone's feeding practices are harmful or outright wrong debating is good.

Any statements suggesting a practice is outright wrong or implied as harmful will result in you being reported.

Thank you for participating :)

Allison

Just born
Reaction score
SE Manitoba, Canada

Limousin/HerefordX

Cattle are on pasture for HOPEFULLY more than 3 months this year (we fed dry hay 9 months last year cause of drought).
Winter ( at least 7 months of the year) we feed 5x5 grass hay bales. Grass is a mixture, not even sure what is all in there, we are slowly working up the land and seeding because it hadn't been worked up in quite some time. This spring we seeded some millet, timothy, and oats together.
Other than that, I give straw for bedding and their salt/minerals.

I don't feed any grain to the cows or calves. (I sold 10 month old calves in January- some well over 700 pounds)

boothcreek

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
SE British Columbia, Canada

Dexters

on pasture 7-8 months of the year, have a Salt lick available in the paddocks which they come up for every few days usually.
Roughly 5 months of the year(winter) they get hay supplemented to their pasture, usually high % alfalfa hay, small heavy squares.

I will feed grain if I need to work with them for one reason or another, or as an occasional treat but nothing on the regular bases. We find a steer finished with alfalfa hay looks identical to a grain finished one, at least with the dexters, the local butcher is surprised every year and always asks - "you really didn't grain him?"

greenbean

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Western NC, USA

Jersey and Holstein X - 1 Jersey heifer that will become our future milk cow, 3 Jersey steers that are going in the freezer at the end of the month, and 2 Holstein X heifers that will either be sold bred for future milk cows or if they turn out to be freemartins, will be raised for freezer camp.

We rotate between two pastures. During winter we give a grass mix hay. They also get a grain, right now I don't know the name of the feed, a man gave it to my uncle for fixing his bulldozer or something, but he feeds it to his beef cows. So far mine LOVE it. It's got a protein powder, corn, and a pellet mixed in. I was also feeding a barley, oat, and wheat fodder mix. I had an issue with mold so stopped it. Now that it's cold again I'm going to start it back up. They have access to loose minerals and baking soda 24/7. Once I find somewhere to buy kelp, they'll have access to it 24/7 as well. During summer they're on pasture and only get grain if they lose condition.

bubba1358

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I live in Middle TN, about an hour out of Nashville. I have a Jersey milk cow and her calf. He's 7 months old.

I feed all pasture all the time. We have grass growing from late March through Thanksgiving, so I only feed hay for about 3 - 3.5 months. She gets a small bucket of oats to keep her still at milking. I get about 2 gallons a day. This is her first calf. Her condition is great - a solid 4 on the New Zealand score charts. I live on 5.4 acres, and well over 3 of that is all pasture for the cows and a few sheep. So far it's working out great!

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
Be sure to include what state / country / region that you are in.
Texas

What specifically are you feeding?
mature breeding age beef cattle-cows-heifers-2 bulls-their offspring
What are you adding to supplement it?
loose salt-loose mineral year round-lick tubs in winter
And how does your feeding program change seasonally?
Hay beginning when the days shorten and the grass ceases to grow. Usually mid to late October until mid March.

WyndSyrin

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Norther Missouri USA

Angus Cross: Cow/Calf pairs, and Mature Bulls.
Salt and Mineral blocks, Phosphorus Bulk Mineral year round

Pasture Grass for 8/12 months(Apr-October) with Corn daily. Mega Hay Bales 3 a day for the remaining 4/12 months(Nov-March)