Feeding Practices ~ Llamas & Alpacas

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
It seems that if you ask 100 different farmers you'll get a 100 different answers on just about every subject and this subject is really no different.

So let's run a thread about our different feeding programs so that we can learn from each other's methods.

Welcome to all different methods of feeding: natural, homeopathic, commercial, custom, organic, etc.

Be sure to include what state / country / region that you are in.

What specifically are you feeding?
What are you adding to supplement it?
And how does your feeding program change seasonally?

Please include or edit to include whether it is llamas or alpacas that you raise

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

No one is right or wrong on this thread - they are just true to their farm. This is a learn / share thread.

Learning requires questions and answers as well. So if you need clarification on someone's post please ask a question of them so everyone else can learn too.

This thread is open to civilized debate. As long as you don't state that you believe someone's feeding practices are harmful or outright wrong debating is good.

Any statements suggesting a practice is outright wrong or implied as harmful will result in you being reported.

Thank you for participating :)

teach1rusl

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I'm in Indiana. I free feed orchard grass hay, and my animals are on good orchard grass pasture. I offer free choice minerals (all stock, no copper) and daily grain/pellets. I typically feed 1/2 cup grain each, but have reduced that for my gelding (because he's overweight) and increased my 94 import's ration to about 3/4 cup 2x a day.