feeding rabbits "antler king"

hillbillycitygirl

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Im not kidding, my father in law wants to know if he can feed his rabbits (meat rabbits) Kent brand Antler king deer and elk pellets to meaty them up. I think hes nuts, but he asked me to post this to get a response. Here is a listing of the analysis:

Crude Protein, min
18.5%
Crude Fat, min
2.5%
Crude Fiber, max
14.0%
Calcium (Ca), min
1.2%
Calcium (Ca), max
1.6%
Phosphorus (P), min
1.0%
Salt (NaCl), min
0.25%
Salt (NaCl), max
0.75%
Vitamin A, min
10,000 IU/lb
Vitamin D3, min
2000 IU/lb
Vitamin E, min
50 IU/lb

doubled

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Here is the breakdown for MannaPro Rabbit feed off the bag label.

Crude Protein Min 16.00 %
Crude Fat Min 2.50 %
Crude Fiber Min 16.00 %
Crude Fiber Max 21.00 %
Calcium Min 0.75 %
Calcium Max 1.25 %
Phosphorus Min 0.50 %
Salt Min 0.25 %
Salt Max 0.75 %
Vitamin A Min 3,000 IU/lb

20kidsonhill

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
The actual ingredience is more important than the percent values. What makes up the bulk of the feed?

dbunni

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Which of the manna pro feeds are you comparing to? Looks to be either show or pro. Not grow, which is the higher protein, better product for meat/wool breeds.

forestbunny

Just born
Reaction score
I would contact Kent to find out what the actual ingredients are. You don't want to feed rabbits a lot of cereal grains especially corn. The next huge concern is the Vit D. content. If you notice, rabbit feeds do not have added Vitamin D. That is because Vitamin D, in levels acceptable to other animals, is VERY toxic to rabbits. Several breeders have lost entire herds from feeds contaminated with Vitamin D. Why not just use a feed formulated specifically for rabbits? There are several that have been used very successfully for this same purpose.

doubled

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
dbunni said:
Which of the manna pro feeds are you comparing to? Looks to be either show or pro. Not grow, which is the higher protein, better product for meat/wool breeds.
I believe I wrote MannaPro......:thumbsup I would love to use the Grow but my Dumb TSC says they can't get it......:he

dbunni

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I work for TSC ... they can get it. just needs to be ordered and put on a truck!
Mine did not carry it a few years back until I asked ... now it sells like crazy!

SuburbanFarmChic

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
doubled said:
dbunni said:
I believe I wrote MannaPro......:thumbsup I would love to use the Grow but my Dumb TSC says they can't get it......:he
I can see where there was confusion here. There is MannaPro the brand and they produce different lines of feeds under MannaPro Pro, MannaPro Sho or MannaPro Grow. Unless it was specified which one, just saying MannaPro only tells the brand name you are using not the actual feed. Based on your comment above I am assuming that you are using Pro, not Grow or Sho.

Our TSC carries all three by the way so they can easily order it for you and the person you spoke with either wasn't aware of that or may have been feeling lazy that day.

hillbillycitygirl

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
why cant rabbits have alot of corn? Is that bad for them? We eventually found a Grow product and have been feeding them that, but after about 2 weeks on it, they went three days without eating????whats going on here? I have been giving them lots of grasses since they stopped eating, and after about 4 days they started eating the rabbit pellets again.

My father in law started giving the rabbits corn, is that bad? Im sooo new to this