Feeding requirements for jobless goats

Blackgold05

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Is there a difference in feeding style of goats used for milk, meat and goats that are just kept as pets, if so what are they? I plan to expand our small herd of NDs and I don’t plant to milk them.

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Is there a difference in feeding style of goats used for milk, meat and goats that are just kept as pets, if so what are they? I plan to expand our small herd of NDs and I don’t plant to milk them.
Yes, different feeding.

The more you work, the more food you need.

And growth needs more food.

So... if your adult pet goats just hang out in a pen all day, a diet of mostly hay is best.

If your adult pet goat is also a pack goat and goes on long walks with you... then the feed should be increased.

If you have a milk goat, and the milker is producing a gallon of milk a day, she will need a quality high nutrition breakfast and supper... and maybe lunch, with free choice hay during the day.

Blackgold05

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Yes, different feeding.

The more you work, the more food you need.

And growth needs more food.

So... if your adult pet goats just hang out in a pen all day, a diet of mostly hay is best.

If your adult pet goat is also a pack goat and goes on long walks with you... then the feed should be increased.

If you have a milk goat, and the milker is producing a gallon of milk a day, she will need a quality high nutrition breakfast and supper... and maybe lunch, with free choice hay during the day.
So is there a specific type of hay that should mostly work for pet only goats?

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
So is there a specific type of hay that should mostly work for pet only goats?
Lots of different types of hay in different parts of the country. Might be a good idea to make contact with a hay producer in your area. Also a goat mentor near you would be a great help!

Kristie

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I have to ND gals who LOVE peanut hay. But when I can't get that, they settle for Timothy Alfalfa. Recently I could only get Timothy Alfalfa Orchard and they loved that, too.

My girls are strictly pets, but they share a bowl of goat feed every morning and evening. They have hay available at all times. They don't forage a bunch, but my vet said that's because they are being fed on the regular.

Latest posts