Feeding time question?

Nao57

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
When there's more dark hours in a day than there is light hours, which way is best on feeding times for poultry? (ducks).

So let's say you had darkness for 13 or 14 hours a day.

If that's the case is it better to feed ducks, poultry, etc, right on the dot every 12 hours (6:30 Am and at 6:30 PM)? OR is it better to feed just at sunup and sundown, even though its not an even amount of time on the waiting periods between feeds?

What do you think about this?

I think this is an interesting question and I'd like to hear what's on your mind in it.

Thanks.

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
I feed everything once a day in the winter months and that's in the morning, no matter the time...whenever it suits me, usually. I find they are hungry no matter when that time is.

Nao57

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I feed everything once a day in the winter months and that's in the morning, no matter the time...whenever it suits me, usually. I find they are hungry no matter when that time is.

And can you still get eggs with once a day feedings if the nutrient requirements are met? Or can it lower it?

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
And can you still get eggs with once a day feedings if the nutrient requirements are met? Or can it lower it?

You'll get eggs if they are currently in a laying cycle, no matter how many times a day they are fed. You can feed the same amount in one feeding per day that you can in twice a day feedings, so there is no nutrient loss at all.

Nao57

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
You'll get eggs if they are currently in a laying cycle, no matter how many times a day they are fed. You can feed the same amount in one feeding per day that you can in twice a day feedings, so there is no nutrient loss at all.
Thank you very much.

Its amazing how much there is to learn. I keep running into questions so much even after its been a year already in this.

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thank you very much.

Its amazing how much there is to learn. I keep running into questions so much even after its been a year already in this.

If you are smart enough to keep wanting to learn, you'll still be running into questions about things you don't know even after a lifetime of doing it. After 44 yrs of doing chickens, I'm constantly learning about chickens and ducks and never get the feeling I've learned it all. I just started doing composting deep litter and FF about 9-10 yr ago and only a few years before that I started letting broodies raise chicks of their own, so I'm constantly learning there are new ways of doing this thing.

Finnie

Herd Master
Reaction score
I only “feed the chickens” once per day. But, since I free feed them, all I’m really doing during that one time is giving fresh water (if needed) and checking whether any of the multiple feeders are getting low. So I can do this any time of day that’s convenient for me. If I can’t get to it at all on any particular day, then I just make a point to do it the next morning while I’m unlocking the various coops and pens. I have enough stations that if some of them run out, the birds can eat elsewhere.

I did fermented feed for a while. Aside from all its health and economic benefits, the birds really loved it! But, it was more labor intensive for the size of my operation, so I switched back to dry feed, and that works very well for me. Since you have a smaller flock, I would encourage you to try it. I loved doing it, but I have so much on my plate right now, that I just do everything in the most lazy way possible.😂