Feeding underweight doe

ChickenAndGoatLover

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
We have a 4 year old doe in milk. She kidded 5 weeks ago and we brought her to our farm 3 weeks ago with her babies. I'm not sure if her body is still going back to "normal" after kidding or if shes truly underweight but she looks and feels very underweight. I can feel her spine and on each side next to her spine it looks like its semi caved in. She is making milk fine for her babies and eating and drinking plenty. I give grain and alfalfa pellets twice a day along with endless hay and forage. 5 days after they got here we tested our entire herd for CAE, got fecals done and did an ultra boss pour on. Fecals looked great so definitely not an internal parasite issue. I can post pictures later if it's of any help. Do their bodies take time to adjust after kidding? Or is she probably underweight? And if so, how much and what should I feed her to help her get to a healthy weight while nursing her babies? Thanks!

Hens and Roos

Herd Master
Reaction score
Congrats on the doe and kids! If you can post some pictures that would help others kind of see what you are seeing and offer some ideas.