Feeding up a dairy cow?

Snowhunter

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
So we got ourselves a 3ish yo Jersey the other day. She's stubborn, sweet, ornery and loves attention, on her terms! LOL

The guy we bought her from got her from the auction a few months ago. She was skinny so he wormed her and has been grazing her on pasture and giving some grain on the side. She'd also just weaned off a calf before he bought her (though she's dry now)

She's got nice bright eyes, good temperment, healthy poops, just on the thin side.

I'm looking to get her back into condition so we can get her bred by June/July, if she's ready. If she's not, we will wait. We want to make sure she's due to calf when the weather will be best, the begining of spring or the early part of fall, due to our scorching summer heat.

We've got her on a small pasture, with all the hay she can eat, free choice trace mineral block, and plan to give her 1/2lb of beetpulp (before soaking) and 1lb All Stock 12% to start her up (once a day), and probably will keep her on that ration until she's bred, then move it up to twice a day, possibly adding wheat bran into the mix and maybe a cup of flaxseed (whole)for added protien.

We're not planning on putting her out with the beef herd, but she's got her own section of pasture to go to, where the grass is plentiful and thats close to the barn/house where we can keep an eye on her/handle her everyday.

I guess I just am wondering if I'm on the right track. I've dealt with horses more then anything, cows are still somewhat new to me. I don't wanna shove her system full of new stuff all at once, just a gradual introduction and increase if/when necessary.

Thanks

jhm47

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I'd have her tested for Johnes disease. A vet can take a fecal sample and determine if she has it or not. If she does, you need to get rid of her ASAP. Many of the relatively young cows that appear in auctions are positive, and that's the reason that they are culled from dairy herds. There is no cure for Johnes.

Snowhunter

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
She was never part of a dairy herd/farm, according to the previous owner, but I know... take that info with a grain of salt!!!

Will go ahead and get her tested.

She's not scrawny, just thin.

I'd read about Johnes searching here the other night, so here's hoping its not!

animalfarm

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
If she just dried up and was a heavy milker she will be skinny. You are feeding her well and she will fatten up as much as she is going to with your program. Worm her (there are wormers for dairy cows; ask vet) and make sure she has minerals appropriate for a dry cow. Skip the salt and or mineral block in favour of a top quality mineral mix free choice. If they have a salt/mineral block they may not eat the free choice which is much better for them.

Breed her at the desired time, she will continue to fatten until she goes into lacatation again, remembering that Jerseys are not fat and round like beef cows.

Test for Johns before breeding and continuing a problem. Don't believe anything you were told about the cow at purchase. It doesn't mean she is a bad cow, but no point in missing potential problems either. I have 3 retired Dairy cows and am very happy with them. What is a problem for a Dairy man may not be a problem for a family cow.

Get familiar with all things relating to milk fever, signs of onset, prevention ect... before she calves and have everything on hand to deal with it. (local feed store/TSC will have everything) or be prepared to call the vet to do it for you. Jerseys are very prone and you must assume worst, do the preventative steps before and after calving and then watch the cow carefully for up to 3 weeks after calving. AFTER calving switch her minerals to nurse cow from dry cow.

Jerseys are fruit cakes but worth their weight in gold. Do dehorn the calves as soon as their horn buds come in at +/- 2 months as they can be really sharp and nasty on an older cow and it is just plain better to deal with it young and Jersey bull calves do not grow up to be something cute and cuddly; they are notoriously unpredictable and horns are a severe health hazzard for both man and animal.

Snowhunter

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I'll look into the free choice mix. I hadn't known about the difference in minerals for a lactating vs dry cow, but I do still have plenty of reading and learning to do!

I certainly don't want to pass on something bad, have run into that with some of my breeder chickens, and ugh, bad breeding is frusterating, so I surely don't want to pass it on to another generation!

Fruit Cake.. LOVE IT! :lol: She is quirky! She's not much for being handled yet, but if we're close to the barnyard, she's at the gate mooing at us for attention, go figure! I enjoy her "antics" tho, always makes me laugh!

Bull calves will be banded, and dehorning is definetly on the agenda. In fact, we gotta do Jezzie here soon as we can get her in the chutes, her horns are fixin to grow right into her ears! Thankfully, DH is well versed in most things cow, so he's a huge help :)

Now I've just got to get used to the not so roley poley look of a dairy cow... the beef herd is in good stout condition, and puts Jezzie to shame, poor gal!

She does look better, having water right there with her available in a very short walk, plus the hay and pasture w some grain. I think its possible she was a bit dehydrated when we got her.

I've got more reading and learning to do, so off I go!

Thank you both, for the advice! :)