Feeding Weaned Kids

Rella Wingler

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Hi there ^_^ time is closing in before i get my 1 set of kids! I'll be getting 2 four month old doelings and 1 wether.
I have been doing a lot of reading and research on exactly how to feed them. I'm reading that they need free access to alfalfa and of course water and their trace minerals.
(I am getting a buckling and another doeling in May. I have a separate pen already and the wether is for the buck. I have read they need grass hay to help prevent UC).
I guess my question is, what about grain/feed? They will be on full feed when I pick them up...do I continue this? And if so, how long? Also, bred does need feed/grain and bucks in rut.
Not a whole lot of info on feeding kids unless you are bottle feeding or weaning.
Just want to get it right!

B&B Happy goats

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hello and welcome from Florida :frow:welcome
I would continue with current feeding that breeder suggests and is using, let them get used to their new home and settled in before you make any changes.....we use hay, pellet feed, and a little black oiled sunflower seed (BOSS) for our area, costal hay is what is available, they have access to it 24/7
Post some pictures of your kids when you get them....bet you are excited !!! :weee:celebrate

Latest posts