1. BYH Official Poll: What are the things that you should consider before buying herds?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  2. Ear Tags - Featured Thread
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. BYH Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Feeding Weaned Kids

Discussion in 'Feeding Time - Goats' started by Rella Wingler, Mar 14, 2019.

1. Mar 14, 2019
    Rella Wingler

Rella Wingler Chillin' with the herd

Hi there ^_^ time is closing in before i get my 1 set of kids! I'll be getting 2 four month old doelings and 1 wether.
    I have been doing a lot of reading and research on exactly how to feed them. I'm reading that they need free access to alfalfa and of course water and their trace minerals.
    (I am getting a buckling and another doeling in May. I have a separate pen already and the wether is for the buck. I have read they need grass hay to help prevent UC).
    I guess my question is, what about grain/feed? They will be on full feed when I pick them up...do I continue this? And if so, how long? Also, bred does need feed/grain and bucks in rut.
    Not a whole lot of info on feeding kids unless you are bottle feeding or weaning.
    Just want to get it right!

2. Mar 14, 2019
    B&B Happy goats

B&B Happy goats Herd Master Golden Herd Member

Hello and welcome from Florida :frow:welcome
    I would continue with current feeding that breeder suggests and is using, let them get used to their new home and settled in before you make any changes.....we use hay, pellet feed, and a little black oiled sunflower seed (BOSS) for our area, costal hay is what is available, they have access to it 24/7
    Post some pictures of your kids when you get them....bet you are excited !!! :weee:celebrate