Feeding when times are tough

jk47

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Is there anything that you can do to extend a bag of pig feed
Also is there any plants ether that are wild in your area or you can grow to stretch the feed. now I'm not talking about if you just couldn't afford the herd you have then some culling is in order intell there in your budget but I mean that if you can't get to a feed store in a 2 or 3weeks for whatever reason could you still feed your pigs intell you could get to the feed store and stock up on the feed you needed

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
If there is a grade school near you ask the school if you can bring 5 gallon CLEAN buckets to their lunch room to collect scraps. Put a picture of your pigs on the bucket and name them. I was collecting between 30 and 50 lbs of food a day, and our school isn't even that big. You need to pickup the buckets up at the end of each day and trade them out for CLEAN ones. It slashed my feed bill.

Dino

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Plant pasture grasses suited to your area, get that info from your local agriculture office. You will still need to suppliment them or they will lose weight. Don't believe the hype about 100% pasture fed... pigs have One stomache, like You. Pigs are not a ruminant species. Like you... they will eventually starve on just grass type forage.

Suppliment with other veggies, root crops, grains or grain products like day old bread, milk, whey, etc.

Dino

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
A couple weeks would be hard to do if you don't have plenty of good quality pasture depending on how many pigs you have.

I figure we save about 10% or 15% on feed by pasturing. It helps keep the pigs occupied too.

wvbeek

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
A pic of my 90% pasture fed pigs who get an occasional scoop of grain...they are wonderful weed eaters! This was taken in April before the pasture grew. Four of these hogs are now bred, the other was sent for sausage for my neighbor.
Goat babies and storm damage 027.JPG

jk47

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
those are good looking pigs what pasture mixes do you use I have a feeds and feeding book from the 50s and all they talked about was pasture but I was a little skeptical but now that ive seen it I know it must work do you offer any vit. or mineral supplements to keep them from getting proplems

wvbeek

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
They are in a natural pasture that has been grazed for decades, so no pasture mix is used. They eat hay supplemented with grain in the winter, drink from a small creek that runs through the property. In the fall, they eat acorns and several varieties of nuts that grow on the farm. We give them some food scraps, occasional meat scraps and bones (because they are omnivores), excess or over ripe garden produce, perhaps 3% of total diet. No vitamins, no supplements, no problems. They run in with goats and cows, making the pasture better. About 35 acres fenced with pasture and woods. I used to think pastured pigs were not possible, or a theory, so I put it to the test. So far, my husband and I love it---the weeds are being hit hard this summer. I love to see them graze. These are not heritage pigs, just ordinary York/Hamp crosses.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
@wvbeek what kind of hay do you feed the pigs? here in east Texas, we raise grass hay, Bermuda or Bahia is the two most popular.

wvbeek

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Just mixed grass hay: orchard grass, clover, misc. They are hogs---not picky at all! They have been on grass (pasture) totally since May. They will be farrowing the end of the month and still look good!

jaasp

Just born
Reaction score
FODDER FODDER FODDER
I feed my pigs barley fodder that I sprout myself, it has saved me TONS of money! My feed bill per month is around $15 for 4 adult berkshire/hampshire crosses and the managerie of little ones.... 1lb of barley seed turns into about 7lbs of fodder, which sits at about 20-24% protein. Impossible to beat, saves money, and they are completely happy with it! I get fantastic litter rates with them as well... I give all of my critters fodder (chickens, turkeys, cows, horses) and they all really thrive on it.

Latest posts