Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
So sorry about Pinkie. :(. My first thought was snakebite, probably you too. But you have seen what many are forced to endure with vet prices! As a nurse, you are quite capable of so many of the day to day things...shots, sutures, Lance, meds.

There are many med options out there that can be bought online, from reputable sources. My vet was very instrumental in training ME to perform many of these practices. I was fortunate . He was horse, farm and exotic trained and practicing.

Pls keep us updated on Pinkie. I'm sure she's getting the best of care!

I don't say vets or human doctors are not due their fees. Just that we can't always afford them!:)

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
So sorry about Pinkie. :(. My first thought was snakebite, probably you too. But you have seen what many are forced to endure with vet prices! As a nurse, you are quite capable of so many of the day to day things...shots, sutures, Lance, meds.

There are many med options out there that can be bought online, from reputable sources. My vet was very instrumental in training ME to perform many of these practices. I was fortunate . He was horse, farm and exotic trained and practicing.

Pls keep us updated on Pinkie. I'm sure she's getting the best of care!

I don't say vets or human doctors are not due their fees. Just that we can't always afford them!:)
Amen! You have been blessed to have a vet to mentor you, that's for sure. Just recently I found what meds and equipment are out there for the general public to buy and I was shocked....and pleased! We will be slowly but surely putting together a vet kit, both for the dogs and for the sheep...and it could come in real handy for humans down the line.

Within minutes of getting the steroid and Benadryl injection her face was losing the swelling...you could visibly see her pain being relieved when that happened. The tail started waving gently and she started to look around and enjoy her new experience a little.

Yes, I was thinking snakebite too as I had never seen a dog get a bee sting that swelled so much and lasted so long(I heard her yelp as we were leaving the paddock yesterday morning and saw her run out of the sheep shelter...thought one of the sheep had stepped on her foot, which has happened before, so didn't think much about it until seeing her face this morning!).

So, so glad it wasn't snakebite!!! Would have had to take her 2 hrs down state to the nearest antivenom and she would have had to have antibiotics and who knows what else also. Bay knows, I think she's had snake bit dogs a few times or three.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
It was a bee sting? Wow! I was thinking snakebite too. I treat my dogs for copperhead bites with Benadryl, 1 baby aspirin and Arnicare pills for pain. Every 4 hours, up to 3 or 4 doses. Only had to go to 4th dose once, for Trip. His front leg, chest and neck was terribly swollen. It took 3 days to go down enough that he would let me look at it. There was a quarter sized hole (from him licking it) on the inside of his leg, up near his chest. It was the worst one yet.

A rattlesnake bite would kill them.

Pinky behaved herself so well because she has 100% trust in you. That is a true working partner ship in that shows how she is treated, trained and loved. Pinkie, girl, you done good.

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
It was a bee sting? Wow! I was thinking snakebite too. I treat my dogs for copperhead bites with Benadryl, 1 baby aspirin and Arnicare pills for pain. Every 4 hours, up to 3 or 4 doses. Only had to go to 4th dose once, for Trip. His front leg, chest and neck was terribly swollen. It took 3 days to go down enough that he would let me look at it. There was a quarter sized hole (from him licking it) on the inside of his leg, up near his chest. It was the worst one yet.

A rattlesnake bite would kill them.

Pinky behaved herself so well because she has 100% trust in you. That is a true working partner ship in that shows how she is treated, trained and loved. Pinkie, girl, you done good.
Now I'll know what to do if they DO get bit, thank you, Bay!!!! I think she may have swallowed this bee and gotten stung in her throat, as she is still having trouble swallowing water even. Couldn't swallow her own drool for a good while.

I think you are right about the trust, as I've not really had any time at all to train this pup on any leash or obedience work~a few failed tries at leash training and that's about it....she just followed me and stayed glued to my leg. She wouldn't follow Eli nor come to him during this at all...just me. Food bringer, ya know. :D =D Normally she LOVES Eli...all the dogs do, but when you are hurting, you want a mother, ya know? ;)

She laid her head on my shoulder and just shut her eyes while we waited for the meds to take effect....so much trust in that. :love

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I feed a Dumor mineral mix from Tractor Supply, dolomite lime, and Azomite, a rock dust from an ancient lava flow out of Utah. I feed a 14% all purpose pellet with 5ppm to 15ppm of copper. If they get too much copper, the dolomite lime is supposed to neutralize it.

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
That is so sweet about Pinkie laying her head on your shoulder.

With that reaction, you reckon it might have been a Yellowjacket or a hornet?
I was thinking it must have been something pretty bad and possibly she snapped at it like she does a horse fly and got stung inside her mouth. We cannot see a sting site outside and she's still so swollen internally that she's having trouble eating and drinking. And this happened yesterday morning! Can't open her mouth to look inside as it seems she can't open her mouth without pain...she's able to hold it open further since the meds but it still seems pretty affected.

Put her meds in a piece of weenie this evening and had the hardest time getting her to eat it(NOT like her...she's a hog or food!) and she seemed unable to chew it. She sort of mouthed it a little and I think it went down but she's not biting down hard at all.

I felt so sorry for her, Bay....she's a big sissy, in the first place, so when she hurts it's all about the drama. She clung to me like a little kid all throughout the visit to the vet and afterward....her favorite thing to do is walk between my legs and stand between them. Don't know why, never had a dog do that, but she did that after she got out of the initial pain and swelling and did it again when I went up to feed her the weenie, so that tells me she's getting back to herself but I can't imagine WHAT kind of BEE could DO that to a dog??? She's still pretty swollen under her chin and you can tell she's still hurting.

Oh, and thanks for the info! I was thinking you were feeding a mineral mix with Cu but it's a feed, instead. I would love to find a loose mineral that had Cu but not as much as goat mix....nigh impossible, I tell ya! I've done search after search and cannot locate such a thing.

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
Once I put them on this feed, the brownish tinge on the black marked sheep shed out and grew in black.
I've had people argue vehemently that it just doesn't happen...that the brown wool doesn't turn back to black but I've seen it happen on Shine, though hers didn't shed out, it just turned back to black, as this was at the beginning of summer.

Right now she's a little more red around her edges than I have ever seen on her and I use her as sort of the canary in the mine for the rest of the flock....her wool color tells me if the flock is getting enough copper in their mix or not.