Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
Limp? Did I miss something?
I'm enjoying his story as it unfolds. It's fascinating to watch your Blue and @Baymule 's pup Sentry grow into their jobs.

Yeah....they were selling this pup at a reduced price due to him having a limp, supposedly from an older, previous injury of unknown source. Usually sell their pups for $400 but sold him for $50.

He definitely had a limp when we got him and had trouble getting up from a lying down position, but upon getting him home and giving him a couple days of a dose of OTC pain med and he's moving freely, getting up and down with ease and I can barely even see a weakness in that hip/leg now. I think he'll continue to build muscle around that injury enough to recover from it completely.

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
Well, there could have been an additional reason he was so cheap.....he's a duck killer. Ate my best duck the other night, so Blue is on alpha training as of today and will be so for many days to come, depending on how he responds to it......not sure how all of that will go.

Did leash training and a little chicken training this morning. I've seen better responses to the chicken training, so I have a feeling we'll have a long way to go. He's one of those dogs that can act correctly and respond correctly to correction while you are there, but while you are not he does as he pleases. That will have to change or Blue will have to go.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
There is hope. My Paris was a chicken killer, it took me 2 years to turn her around. Strangely enough, Trip is ok with all poultry—EXCEPT DUCKS. He not only killed, but he ate my Muscovy ducks. I don’t know what clicked in his brain that ducks are food. He snarled and lunged st me, WRONG thing to do. My knee jerk reaction was to snatch up a 4’ pine limb that just happened to be on the ground and I beat the snot out of him-until he ran away. I wound up giving the last duck away. Whalloping Trip with a tree limb probably wasn’t the best reaction, but when my big gentle giant lunged at me, I was whaling the tar out of him before I even realized it.

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
Reminds me of the time that Cowboy growled at me, lol. Stupid dog! He's actually done it twice but the first time was in front of the neighbors kids so I chose not to give him a correction that time in case it went badly and the kids would have witnessed me being ripped to shreds by a big ol' dog, lol. In his defense (not that he deserves any for that) he was mostly grumbling over his shoulder as he walked away. Not like he challenged me. But, the next time he even got close to a rumble I was on him like whipped on cream. He ended up on the ground and didn't get up until he peed on himself, lol. He hasn't tried it since.

But, all of my LGD's had a poultry phase. Cowboy is the only one that never killed one - but he would pick them up and carry them around. No idea why - but he never harmed one. Maddie licked a few to death. After a few nice 'conversations' they all got over it and went on to add poultry to their list of guardees.

Pups make mistakes. And most are capable of learning.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
With Blue, start over. Go to square one and start training like he is a 6 week old pup. Obviously there are holes in his training, I have confidence that you can find and fix them.

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
There is hope. My Paris was a chicken killer, it took me 2 years to turn her around. Strangely enough, Trip is ok with all poultry—EXCEPT DUCKS. He not only killed, but he ate my Muscovy ducks. I don’t know what clicked in his brain that ducks are food. He snarled and lunged st me, WRONG thing to do. My knee jerk reaction was to snatch up a 4’ pine limb that just happened to be on the ground and I beat the snot out of him-until he ran away. I wound up giving the last duck away. Whalloping Trip with a tree limb probably wasn’t the best reaction, but when my big gentle giant lunged at me, I was whaling the tar out of him before I even realized it.

I understand completely. I truly do. That's my first inclination too when a dog growls at me....I let all the crazy hang out in those times so they never dream of ever, EVER doing that again. Ever. It's just too important with my grandkids around that every dog here NEVER shows a human any aggression.

With Blue, start over. Go to square one and start training like he is a 6 week old pup. Obviously there are holes in his training, I have confidence that you can find and fix them.

Already on it....started alpha training and will continue that every day until it's in his mind like a song. It's hard when the dog is already this old, but I'm still going to try.