Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
What about a pallet safe zone? You are a pallet wizard and I know you can come up with something brilliant.

I'll likely model something off Greg Judy's setup out of cattle panels, but I want it to be designed a little differently. I want it to have a roller PVC section across the bottom front to allow it to float over obstacles more freely, but it has to have some heavy skids on the sides to keep it from being something the sheep can tip over....May is like a bulldozer and if she can get her head and shoulders into something, there's no stopping her.

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
June had a little ewe lamb just now....had a hard time of it and it took a good bit of time, it being her first and being a good sized lamb. I had to sneak up on hands and knees and give a tiny bit of traction to get it's head all the way out and after that it was all fine and dandy. A good hair coat and long back on her...a fine lamb. We called her July, but likely Aliza will have other ideas about what to call her.

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
Worked from daylight to dark today, got rained on and beat up by the terrain....I'm totally whooped, but I'm a happy woman. New ewe lamb, more fencing done, grass starting to grow, birds singing like crazy and life bursting out all over. I've been thanking God all day for the weather, for the work, for the strength to work, for my son to help me....basically for everything.

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
Got more fence built yesterday, enough so we could tie onto it and annex a little piece of land next to us owned by an absentee owner. We normally mow this piece for them several times a season, but this year we want to utilize it as graze...it has a lot of good stuff in it and some not so good, but it's all 100% better than what we have to offer on our place, so we feel very blessed to get to use it.

Got the flock moved down there and was pleased to see Charlie, the now 3 mo. old Anatolian, following the flock instead of the bigger dogs that were being led down by my son behind the move. This half acre is out of sight of the house, so this is all a bit scary for the bigger dogs. Ben is tethered in the field, as he can't be trusted to be loose in the temp fencing...or any fencing, for that matter.

Some pics of the meadow, the sheep, the newest lamb and mother, the dogs, etc. When next we do this paddock, we'll be sectioning it off into smaller paddocks so we can more greatly impact the grass and soils there.
100_1939.JPG
100_1947.JPG
100_1950.JPG
100_1951.JPG
100_1952.JPG
100_1953.JPG
100_1956.JPG
100_1960.JPG
100_1962.JPG
100_1963.JPG

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
Been a little worried about June since having the lamb, as she's been laying down a lot and I can walk right up to her and touch her head before she gets up, which is NOT like her. So, today I was headed down to give her a little booster drench but found her up and grazing, alert and quick on her feet. Could be she was just a bit worn out from the lambing and nursing, but she seems to have recovered today.

Today was the hottest day we've had, but had a little breeze going, which helped. I put the booster drench in the water bucket instead, so they will all get a little boost, I guess.

I'm so very pleased about them all staying in the single strand polybraid, dogs and sheep alike, and pleased with how much good clover and grasses are in that one meadow...the sheep really needed it after having to eat the skimpy stuff in our own meadow/yard. I could likely keep them on there for 10 days or more and not see too much impact on it.

I'm thanking the Lord for His protection over the sheep in that paddock, which is right adjacent to the field we most often hear the coyotes singing in. I'm also thanking Him for keeping everyone in that fence and doing what they are supposed to be doing.

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
Joined the two ram lambs we bought recently in with the flock, after placing some homemade ram aprons on them. Have decided we won't keep the white ram lamb for breeding...there's several things I don't like about his personality, though his conformation is the better of the two. I just don't want to breed stupidity and bad temperament into my ewe flock.

July, the little ewe lamb, is doing fine and so is June, her mother. That baby will have some mighty rich milk to eat on that graze they are on....very rich.

Some pics of the two younger dogs, learning to live, work and play together....

100_1929.JPG
100_1930.JPG
100_1931.JPG
100_1932.JPG
100_1933.JPG
100_1934.JPG
100_1935.JPG
100_1936.JPG