Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
Absolutely. Sheba already rules. Paris hates her. Paris hates all female dogs and carries a death wish for them. She tolerates male dogs rather well, but not females. I guess they are not called B!tch for nothing.
My female Akbash, Lucy, hated all strange dogs...was very dog aggressive, especially in her older age. Never saw her come up against any other females, but I'm betting it wouldn't have been pretty.

My son brought out his dog, in heat mind you, and Blue was VERY interested, but Charlie, this little 3 mo. pup dominated this 3 yr old female St. Bernard mix dog. She stood over her and growled...I had to correct her. After I corrected her on that she sat and sulked for a few minutes and then she moved to Blue and was grabbing him by his underparts~yes, the tenderest bits~ and trying to pull him away from this other female. She tried every leg hold she knew on Blue....it was like she was pulling her husband away from an attractive female. It was hilarious but at the same time it gave me some insight as to how dominant this pup wants to be.

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
As promised...a few pics of the water wagon. It's working out great, with all animals partaking of the water and minerals ad lib. Please ignore the dates on the pics...changed the batteries in the camera and it defaulted to that date.

100_2027.JPG

That water trough isn't dirty, it's an old goat feeder someone gave me and it's stained with feed...can't wash that stuff off!

100_2028.JPG

We had this cooler and never use it, so put it to good use. Also had old garden hoses in our farm junk storage to utilize.

100_2029.JPG

Left the flap up on the mineral feeder for a few days until they got used to finding the minerals there, then put the flap down and they are now nudging the flap up to access it.

100_2030.JPG

Blue dog...my $50 Anatolian. He's working out great and I really like his personality. He's very sweet, submissive with the sheep but takes charge when he needs to.

100_2062.JPG

The dogs meet their first turtle..and were petrified of it.

100_2026.JPG

Blue, 1 yr and Charlie, 3 mo. Both looking rangy because they are growing like weeds.

100_2032.JPG

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
That's some wagon set up you got there! You always amaze me with the things you come up with. I like the flap over the minerals too.

Blue and Charlie are quite the pair. My pup is looking rangy too, so don't feel alone. Rangy or not, they look pretty to me.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Good idea on the mineral feeder flap. We have a couple of "bull mineral feeders" that are round with that type of flap. doesn't take them long to learn to push it up with their noses to get the mineral and it doesn't get full of water in a rain. The bull ones are very heavy to keep the bulls from pushing them around so much, but they work great for the cattle . The waterer set up is nice.

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
That wagon is genius. I know sheep are much more well behaved than goats, so I'm guessing they aren't tempted into jumping up and all over it?

Nah...it's full of dog food tote, mineral bucket, spare stakes and polybraid reels. That's one reason why I love sheep....not near as much of a headache as goats.

I love the wagon! I can fill that cooler and the water stays fresh for days....I lose the most water when I move the whole thing over this uneven terrain, but that's usually only every other day. It's so very nice to move one thing instead of having to dump buckets, rinse them out, refill, then move the minerals, fasten the whole thing to a tree so they can't dump them, etc. Also nice to have the dog food and pans on the same cart so I'm not carrying dog food to the paddock each morning.

Soon I'm going to attach a continuous feeder type thing to the wagon so the dogs can eat their food without the sheep trying to get it. The mouth of the feeders will extend under the wagon too far for the sheep to reach but not too far for a dog to do so. It will likely be PVC pipe and designed to hold at least 2 day's worth of food. That's about how long each paddock stay has been thus far.

If that doesn't work I'm going to build a skid cage for the dogs so they can eat in peace. I'll attach it to the wagon for moves. It will have a jump gate for entering and eating.

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
A few pics this morning of the flock and guardians. A beautiful Sunday morning in June! I thank God for it and the animals seem to be doing the same.

May and her ram lamb, Dingleberry, 2 mo. old today.

100_2070.JPG

Rose and one of her twins, Moe, also 2 mo. old today. Charlie, 3 mo.

100_2073.JPG

Shine's ram lamb, Noodles, will be 2 mo. old on the 15th.

100_2074.JPG

And Blue, my sweet, soft guy, 13 mo. old.

100_2075.JPG