Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Murphy came to you as a dog with problems. I hope he went to a home where he is the only dog, since he is aggressive to other dogs. For what it's worth, i think Murphy didn't want to share YOU and considered Blue a rival. I know you really liked Murphy, he was a beautiful dog. You did right, Blue is your faithful hard working boy. You couldn't let him get beat up by Murphy.

Carson, the black Lab/Great Dane cross that we have, and Sentry don't get along. Most of the time they do, but they have their moments. Since Carson is not officially a working dog, I can keep them separate. They are both going to get neutered, that ought to take some of the edge off.

I think you have found your dog. Pinkie is right for you and your farm, to start with. She isn't a dog that somebody has messed up for you to try to correct. She is all yours, right from the start. She is already getting with the program, Pinkie belongs there.

How are things with your Mom since your Dad passed away? I hope she is ok.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
You have hit the nail on the head. I don't have the luxury of keeping every dog...only those that can help us here. It's like interviewing for a job and some don't seem fit for the job, so they get jobs elsewhere that they ARE suited for.

Most folks don't view dogs in that manner and I didn't used to either, but that's before I had a flock of sheep that we've spent a good bit of money on and the start of our farm here. These dogs aren't merely pets but actual farm employees....but are also pets to me. But, if I have to choose between those that can help me and are pets, and those that cannot but are pets, the choices become more clear. Any dog can be a pet, but not any dog can do this particular job.

You are so right. Your working dogs can be pets, but pets can't be working dogs. You need dogs that are worth their dog food, partners that do the work you need them to do, keep your sheep safe from predators.

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
Murphy came to you as a dog with problems. I hope he went to a home where he is the only dog, since he is aggressive to other dogs. For what it's worth, i think Murphy didn't want to share YOU and considered Blue a rival. I know you really liked Murphy, he was a beautiful dog. You did right, Blue is your faithful hard working boy. You couldn't let him get beat up by Murphy.

Carson, the black Lab/Great Dane cross that we have, and Sentry don't get along. Most of the time they do, but they have their moments. Since Carson is not officially a working dog, I can keep them separate. They are both going to get neutered, that ought to take some of the edge off.

I think you have found your dog. Pinkie is right for you and your farm, to start with. She isn't a dog that somebody has messed up for you to try to correct. She is all yours, right from the start. She is already getting with the program, Pinkie belongs there.

How are things with your Mom since your Dad passed away? I hope she is ok.

She's doing very well. Weepy on some days, replaying memories every day, but working through her grief quite well. She went to her dance practice today and seemed happy to get back to her dance ladies, some of whom remember Dad when he danced with the group. She's been sleeping with his military flag in the bed each night....I guess that makes her feel closer to Dad.

We are both missing him being gone from this Earth, but corona restrictions had taken him from us many months back, so we were glad he didn't have to live in that nursing home anymore with no way for family to visit. No way of making him understand why we no longer could visit....when I think about it, it makes me furious. Furious for him and for all the other elderly who don't know why family can't come see them anymore.

We are currently trying to work through the various paper work involved with SS and the VA, along with other paperwork and that all seems overwhelming for her, but we'll get through it together.

Thanks for asking, Bay, you are so very sweet! And thanks for understanding about Murphy....I'm still hurting over him, which is why I've not said anything. I seriously didn't want to let him go and I still tear up when I think about him.

I keep thinking maybe I was just a conduit for both Charlie and Murphy, getting them to the places they needed to be in a round about way...but not here.

I have high hopes for this pup. I'm doing things differently this time....no leash training or obedience type training with her until she's fully bonded with that flock, so she doesn't want to leave them to be with me~and then, training only in the pasture with the sheep in sight. I made that mistake with Charlie~taking her out of the pasture and away from the sheep for obedience training~ and I thought I'd done so with Blue, but he's growing more and more bonded with the sheep and doesn't voluntarily leave them now just to hang out with us.

Blue is helping me with all of that bonding/training, so he's become quite invaluable though he's still considered a pup himself.

Now, if I can just get Dooley trained as a sheep herding dog, I just may have a good team going on here. He's growing more intense in his herding instinct but I've not had the chance lately to work with him, so all that nervous energy has no good outlet. I need to get him down there to meet the pup and let the pack romp together each day, so it's not as much of a shock to them when he's actually working the sheep. Blue's okay with it, but that girl pup needs to learn he's okay too.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I must have felt something was going on, because you were on my mind. I figured you were working through things and would come back and tell us when you were ready. I do understand about Murphy, I don't think anyone here will think less of you for finding a better fit for him. It takes courage and wisdom to know when you have to make a change, hurt though it may.

I feel so bad for you, your Mom and most of all, your Dad. I think cutting off family is more cruel than the Covid virus. Letting an elderly person pass away with no family is more than cruel, it is downright criminal. I was honored to be with my Dad and my Mom when they died. Whether they knew i was there or not, I don't know. I like to think that they did. I want to think that they knew I was there and that I loved them. Being denied to be with them, being denied telling them that I loved them, I just don't have words......

Big hugs to you, you have a lot on your plate right now. You know you can always come to your BYH family, we got 'cher back.

Sheepshape

Herd Master
Reaction score
Beekissed, these are horrible times for so many of us....and little sign of things improving for some while. You have had some 'rough rides' recently......I hope things settle down for you soon. Time is a great healer, but memories often don't 'mellow' as much as we would like for moments which can never be replaced.

I've got a new pup, too, and am going to get her formally sheep trained if I can find the right trainer. At least having a new pup is a joy (and also a challenge!)

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
Beekissed, these are horrible times for so many of us....and little sign of things improving for some while. You have had some 'rough rides' recently......I hope things settle down for you soon. Time is a great healer, but memories often don't 'mellow' as much as we would like for moments which can never be replaced.

I've got a new pup, too, and am going to get her formally sheep trained if I can find the right trainer. At least having a new pup is a joy (and also a challenge!)

I agree! This pup is a joy and brings a much needed smile to my face right now. I can't stop myself from sinking my hands and face into her soft, thick fur and loving on her when I'm in the paddock. I love watching her dinking around behind the flock or attacking an old bone like it's a coyote. She's so very active for one so young, but not in a hyperactive way....more like a pup that's much older than she is.

I thank God for such a hardy, strong pup that doesn't need a whole lot of my time and nurturing right now, but still likes some lovin' when I can give it to her. I've been giving her warm whole milk in her food each day and that's about all the nurturing she's getting besides the hugs and pets.

I wish I could find and afford a trainer to which I could send Dooley off for herd training...that would take such a load off my mind and chore list. I know zip about herd training, but this pup clearly needs a job...he's just jittery with excess energy and an obsession to herd. He's 6 mo. old now and ready to jump right out of his skin!

I hope you find someone for your new pup and I hope you post vid of her working when you do...I LOVE seeing those dogs work!

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
You have hit the nail on the head. I don't have the luxury of keeping every dog...only those that can help us here. It's like interviewing for a job and some don't seem fit for the job, so they get jobs elsewhere that they ARE suited for.

That is the exact thing I try to stress when writing about acquiring working LGDs. Not all of them have the aptitude for guarding in the way you need. All LGDs have different personalities just like people. Some are better guardians than others. Unless you know exactly what to look for in a guardian dog pup, an experienced breeder of working LGDs is the best bet for choosing you a pup that will grow into the exact guardian you want.

Keeping males of the same age and females of the same age together are often a problem in certain breeds. Anatolians are well known for not tolerating same sex/same age companions. If you have working Anatolian LGDs, you are better served to have them separated by several years in age if the same sex. Male and female Anatolians of the same age will work together. If your farm is large enough to separate your same age/same sex Anatolians into different fenced pastures you can keep them but if they manage to get together, they will fight. This does not seem to be the case with all LGD breeds. Our Pyrs and Shar Pleninetz x Maremma got along fine with our large house dogs of the same age and sex. Our Anatolians do not, although toy dogs do not seem to pose the same problems. Maybe the Anatolians do not recognize them as dogs!

Even in the same litter LGDs have different aptitudes for different situations. Not all pups will be a good candidate for every guarding situation. This is why an LGD that won't work out on your farm might be perfect for your neighbor with the same predators.

Dogs and people both have different personalities. Just like choosing friends and horses, you both need to suit each other.

Kusanar

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Maybe the Anatolians do not recognize them as dogs!
Lol, I kind of have the same problem... My 13 lb "dog" is an overgrown rat crossed with a cat, and he's not even really small enough to be a toy! My reasoning is that you have to be at least as big / heavy as my cats to be a dog.

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
If I hadn't seen this with my own eyes, I doubt I'd believe it if someone told me....but, this morning was the first time I started training on this pup about the down and wait for your food. First time I've had Blue even do it since she came here. First time they've eaten side by side since she's come.

So, I prepared both pans and put them on the ground, but hesitated a moment before doing so....Blue knows this means he's to lie down. He lay down. The pup backed off and lay down too...I've not taught her that, so was impressed right away. I put the pans down and neither dog got up to approach them. I'm stunned at this time, because the pup has been eating like every other dog until now, rushing the food bowl and starting right in.

I let them lie there for a matter of seconds and then said the "okay"...Blue jumped up and put his nose in her bowl instead of his own and she just lay there, didn't move. I put Blue back on his pan and then told her it was okay while patting the pan...then and only then did she come to the food!!!!!

It's like a miracle, this pup....she has exceeded all my expectations and she's only been here a week and a half. I watched both dogs this morning as they went about their business...which, for Blue, meant lying down for a snooze, but still alert. For the pup that meant following the flock into the brush and staying with them everywhere they went. She never lies down until they do, then she lies down with them. Every time I look down in that paddock I find the pup with the flock and Blue on sentry at a distance. Sometimes he's up on the round bales watching, sometimes he's flat out on the ground...but he can spring up in a flash and be with the flock like lightning.

The pup moves through the flock, often brushing her body up against them, weaving through and under their bellies and legs. They touch noses with her~yeah...this flock that barely tolerates Blue~and let her rub against them. She never follows Blue around like that, just the sheep. I rarely even see her playing with Blue...one time since she came, have we seen that.

For now, I'm thanking the Lord for this pup and all her good traits, like I've never seen before in a dog that young. I hope and pray they continue! I really needed an easy dog long about right now.

Nuzzling with the ram lamb, Noodles...

100_2576.JPG

100_2577.JPG

100_2580.JPG
100_2582.JPG
100_2583.JPG
100_2584.JPG

I don't know if that's what folks call bonding, as I've not seen it yet in any of my dogs as of yet. Blue and old Rose seem to be bonded, but he doesn't seem to buddy up with the rest of the flock.

This flock seem to look favorably on this pup and seem also to enjoy her nearness, both male and female alike.