farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Cows have free choice mineral and salt at all the pastures.... If they are lacking, it sure is not from lack of offering.... they just like to eat that litter like some of us get hooked on Chocolate...... I always believed it was due to something lacking.... and still might be somewhat... but it is just getting something that they don't have in front of them all the time.... and to go overboard and gorging on it. DUMB COWS.....

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
Cows have free choice mineral and salt at all the pastures.... If they are lacking, it sure is not from lack of offering.... they just like to eat that litter like some of us get hooked on Chocolate...... I always believed it was due to something lacking.... and still might be somewhat... but it is just getting something that they don't have in front of them all the time.... and to go overboard and gorging on it. DUMB COWS.....
I've seen vids of deer and cows chasing baby birds along the ground to eat them, crunching them up like cabbage, so it could very well be that extra something that only a certain type of protein can fulfill. Like food cravings for us.

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
We've been having stunningly gorgeous weather, temps in the low 60s, low humidity, beautiful skies, light breezes and plenty of sun. Just perfect in every way!!! No bugs yet, bonus!!

Took a few pics of the sheeps today...

You see those eyes?? Those are the eyes of a biscuit tweaker!

DSCF0083 (1).JPG

Checking Steve(my grandgirl named my 4 wheeler "Steve") for biscuits....

DSCF0084 (1).JPG

It's like an illegal vehicle search every time I go to the field...it's a shake down!

DSCF0096 (1).JPG

DSCF0114.JPG

Little Bit isn't so little anymore...3 wks old now and sturdy as can be. All that milk to herself!
DSCF0100 (1).JPG
DSCF0101 (1).JPG

The field shelter and the new sheep to the flock....

DSCF0103.JPG

The new lambs are almost 2 mo. old but they seem so much more fragile looking than Little Bit....maybe due to being twins?
DSCF0099.JPG

....just a beautiful day and a peaceful scene.

DSCF0116.JPG

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
What lovely scenes. I love the snoopy sheep checking out the 4 wheeler! I love Little Bits color! She is so pretty. Beautiful Bee, just beautiful.

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
Glad to report that Big Red is favoring that leg less and appears less bloated. Today we'll roll a crappy round bale into that paddock and mow the tender tops off that clover in the orchard so that he can have full use of his ram paddock back. I'll also put out some baking soda and the usual minerals for him.

Busy putting in fence posts here for the catch pens and working chute, using up some of the last of those big pallet's 3x3 framing to fabricate me some posts. Also using up the last of the good pallets to make the walls of this pen. Will do pics when finished.

I really like the gentle nature of this ram and his polite but responsive attitude towards me. He will now turn his head and look at me when I say his name, which I like...shows his intelligence. I can talk all lovey dovey to the boys in that paddock but he'll only turn his head when I mention HIS name. Kinda cool! Took Rose and Shine much longer to recognize their names when I called them.

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
Did a paddock move today in preparation for breeding season....will run the gals down the middle this next week so they can smell the big boy and see him. Hoping that will cause them to ovulate.

Cleaned and bleached all components of the water delivery system and tweaked the dog food storage so it stays dry and safe from sheep. Feels good to have those tweaks done.

Also put up mineral and baking soda feeders in the ram paddock, rolled in an old hay bale and mowed down all the high, tender clover so he doesn't get even more too rich food in his system. He still is limping on that front leg a bit.

This next week or so will be a big push on getting fence posts cemented in so I can put up the walls of the sorting pens, as well as the alley. Can't WAIT to finally have all that finished and move on to other pressing projects.

First I have to spread 20 tons of gravel we had delivered today...by hand.....THAT's going to be a treat.

Latest posts