Female acting like a male

hoosiersphynx

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I am pretty sure that she is a girl. I have her in a cage with another girl and she is trying to mate with her. So I looked at her parts and yes still think she is a girl. So I put her in a cage with a male and he sniffed her and she sniffed him. It looked like he was thinking about trying something and then she moved. Next thing I know she is on him trying to mate with him? So is this normal or is she a he? The parts look like a girl. But everything is else is saying boy. I am so lost.

houndit

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Sometimes the females will do this to each other to show dominance. I have even had them do this to a buck.
I hope she breeds for you.
When I was new to rabbits I bought a "doe". I spent two years trying to breed that doe. One night I had a dream it was a buck. I went out and looked the next day and found out it was a buck. From them on I always checked rabbits I bought.

blk90s13

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
wow after 2 years ? :lol:

I seen some does do hump each other it dominance like houndit mentioned ( like dogs )

Can you put her in with a male till she give in ? ( watch her at all times till u see for your self )

Bunnylady

Herd Master
Reaction score
Does riding does is perfectly normal. Usually it is the dominant doe in the pen that does it. The doe being ridden can experience a false pregnancy as a result, and may refuse to breed. For this reason, it is usually a good idea to give all potential breeding does a cage of their own for at least a couple of weeks before trying to breed them.

Does will ride bucks too, also perfectly normal. I have a doe now that insists on fighting with the buck before she will let him breed her. The question is, what does she do when she stops this nonsense? In the case of my "amazon" doe, she lets the buck breed her, no problem, and goes on to kindle a nice litter (she's really a good mother). Obviously, I make sure this warrior princess is really ready to breed before I put her in with the buck, and only breed her to a buck that I am sure can deal with her grumpiness. If it looked like either one was getting hurt, I would get the doe out in a heartbeat, there is no point in either of them getting injured.

houndit

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I did not know they could experience a false pregnancy. How long can that last?