Female rabbit pulling her fur out

kionahauth

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Hello all!

My doe is pulling her fur out. We mated her with our buck a week ago. Could she be "nesting" this early?

A little background....
We jumped into the world of meat rabbits about a month ago. We started with two 6 week olds but decided we needed 2 older ones as well.
We bought a 9 month old doe 2 weeks ago and then went back for the buck. They have had 1 litter previously. When i went back for the buck.

Maybe she has been pregnant this whole time we have had her?

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hello all!

My doe is pulling her fur out. We mated her with our buck a week ago. Could she be "nesting" this early?

A little background....
We jumped into the world of meat rabbits about a month ago. We started with two 6 week olds but decided we needed 2 older ones as well.
We bought a 9 month old doe 2 weeks ago and then went back for the buck. They have had 1 litter previously. When i went back for the buck.

Maybe she has been pregnant this whole time we have had her?

Could be. I'd get a box in there so she can continue to pull fur and make a nest...wouldn't want them born on the wire.

kionahauth

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Could be. I'd get a box in there so she can continue to pull fur and make a nest...wouldn't want them born on the wire.
Yes! Doing this first thing in the am. I dont have anything tonight but can make something in the morning!

Miss mouse

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
You may want to even give her a cardboard box or anything. Mine typically pull fur right before the babies come unless it's a false pregnancy. For example when I went to do a Tuesday night feeding my rabbit was pulling fur and the next morning there were kits. I guess my point is it could be faster than you'd expect.

promiseacres

Herd Master
Reaction score
My NZ does start prepping very early.... last year day 11..had a litter of 7 on day 31..this year less than a week bred and pulling hair. Her daughter already has a hay nest made in the corner of her cage. I think its day 13 for them. :fl
Unless she was bred or exposed by the previous owner I would assume she's doing the same. But a false pregnancy is possible. In mine too...

kionahauth

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
You may want to even give her a cardboard box or anything. Mine typically pull fur right before the babies come unless it's a false pregnancy. For example when I went to do a Tuesday night feeding my rabbit was pulling fur and the next morning there were kits. I guess my point is it could be faster than you'd expect.
I did give her a cardboard box last night. Built a nesting box today. She is still pulling fur but no babies yet.

Nao57

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
OK, but how do you tell pulling fur from... surprise* you go check on them and there's been a scuffle involving 2 rabbits where one of them lost fur?

Is it only a volume difference to tell them apart?

Niele da Kine

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
When a doe pulls wool to build a nest, it's rather a lot of wool. At least, for angoras, maybe other rabbits don't pull as much. In a scuffle, there's just one or maybe several but just a few bits of fur/wool pulled out. When a doe is building a nest, there's a lot and she usually puts it all in one spot. You can't mistake the two, they're totally different types of wool pulling.

Latest posts