Femoral Head Ostectomy and Hip Dysplasia in Sentry

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I said from the very start that Sentry was meant to be our dog. Indeed, we both feel that even more strongly now. What would happen to him had he fallen into the hands of someone who could not or would not give him a chance?

Not to derail, but I know where you're coming from. I feel the same way about my Syringa.
[/QUOTE]

Syringa was on her last chance, there you were and she chose you. She could see your heart even if you didn’t realize it at the time. She knew.

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
Like was said, whatever choice is yours but I wouldn't have thought negative of you if you had chose to put him down. That being said, as well as I know you two, I would have been completely surprised if you had chosen different than what you did.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
10X what Mike said !! :love

I am sorry for what Sentry is having to experience but, young & growing, he should be "a best candidate" for a successful outcome. Shame it has to be done again.

It is good that you were his chosen because some just could not handle the expense of this. Their option would have had to be the alternative.

I send hugs to humans and Sentry! :hugs

LMK17

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
So sorry to hear about Sentry! My heart hurts for you- and for your pocket book! 😳 We went through essentially the same thing with our Sam. Not congenital hip dysplasia, but rather a hip that kept dislocating following the initial injury. We tried several times to go the more conservative route, and it quickly became apparent that we needed the FHO in order to give her a shot at a good quality of life. For what it's worth, Sam made a full and complete recovery, and she wasn't a spring chicken at the time, either. She was, IIRC, about 8. She's 12 now, and just as sprightly and bratty as always (I've posted/complained about her here before.) As you mentioned, the recovery was rough- and I'm sure it'll be all the worse with a puppy!- but now that she's over that hump, no one would ever guess she has no hip joint. You may well find that Sentry exceeds your expectations and goes on to become a fantastic LGD, so try to keep an open mind. I hope and pray for that outcome for you.

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
I found the instructions! It is from a different vet's office, but it's the same instructions. I tried to copy and paste, but it didn't work.

I also found this diagram to help with the mental picture of the procedure.

View attachment 69898
I used to watch Vet ?Ranch on YouTube all the time when I was...’disabled’. They had these exact cases a ton. They showed the dogs from start to finish. The ben of this surgery is that it takes away the pain...there is no rubbing immeadiately, and recovery is much shorter. I’m glad you made this choice. As you said, he is young and health! He’ll do great, plus he has all of your support! :)

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Wow, we are blown away by the support here. @Mike CHS BJ asked me to read your post again. He smiled. It meant a lot to him, and me too!

@Mini Horses Thank you for the optimism. You have been there for me when I was falling apart over Joe and gave me great encouragement. You are my rock! For the rest of you, Joe is my blue eyed purest white Quarter Horse, my heart horse, the love of my life, he will be 31 in March and he has cushings disease. I was devastated and reached out to Mini Horses and she really helped me deal with it. At that time, he was paddling on all 4 feet, because of the pain. No foot, no horse. It was deadly serious. He did get better, his eyes are bright, his ears perk up and he is still interested in life. We take it day by day.

@LMK17 Thank you for posting this!! I read all the comments to BJ and we both got excited that your dog is doing so well. WHOOP!!! You have affirmed that we are doing the right thing.

@Duckfarmerpa1 thank you, I am learning that this is done fairly regularly. We had never heard of it and struggled with our decision.

Some of you have referenced the cost. Well, I have to tell y'all……I read up on this procedure on the internet, cost from $2,000 to $5000. We are in a small town, small town vet, people here are not wealthy. We were expecting a bill for $1,000. We were quoted $800, but when the dust settled, the bill totaled $596.14 BJ had asked him to go easy on us if he could and he did. We have been going to him since he bought the practice and the old vet retired. He has treated our dogs, horses, he was the one who diagnosed my ewe with ruptured pre pubic tendon and put her down while I bawled my broken heart out. We love this guy and are so glad to have him as our animal caretaker. He has always treated our animals with love and respect and treated us like family.

BYH rocks! I love y'all!!

Latest posts