Fence Ignorant - Need Advice

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have goats....20 adult, 16 kids, more to kid next month. These are full size dairy, the big ones -- Saanen and Nubian. Just replaced a huge amount of old field fence with the goat fence...all woven, 4', 4x4 spacing, not graduated. Mine have horns, most of them. Cattle panels are another they get stuck in. YES they love whatever is on wrong side of fence. NO mine do not respect hot wire, unless they nose it. Yes, hot wire helps deter others things.....yes, they live to escape, get stuck and worry you to death!!! And I'm looking to add more. 🤪😁

So, why haven't you trained then to come to a feed bucket rattling?????? Mine will stampede for that. If out, I grab a plastic scoop with some feed, shake it and hollar, come on girls!!! Bang a feed trough and never need to chase them! Train by feeding even a small amount each day...always call the same, shake the scoop, they learn real fast! In fact, I can just hollar and they head to me. Food motivation. Do it each evening and they'll stable themselves for you. :old Trust me, it's worth the amount the food costs!

Other than that -- and learning to stretch the fence tighter, I'm thinking you're ok now.;)

What kind of goats do you have? Some are more prone to adventure than others. 😁

Last edited:

Aunt Angus

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I have nubian/nigerian/boer crosses. I've had them just a couple of weeks. They do come running any time they hear the gate. I'll start rattling the bucket - haha!

They are still little (4 months old). The 5' fence is very high to them. I *think* I'm in good shape now. If I dusnt live between deep woods and a busy highway, I'd probably not worry as much.

Plans are to add another layer of fencing around the property perimeter. That way, if they get out of their current enclosure, they'd at least be contained in the perimeter. A perimeter fence will help with the ducks and chickens, too, as I'm looking to expand my flock.

Aunt Angus

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
It's official -- your addicted! :lol: :old Yes, expand! :lol: We are enablers.
So addicted! Hubs is, too, now. We aren't "farm" folk, but we're getting there! My garden is coming along nicely. My chickens are laying like crazy. My ducks are big and healthy. And my goats are adjusting well so far.

At least I know who to blame! :gig