1. BYH Official Poll: What are the things that you should consider before buying herds?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  2. Our Hearts go out to Notre Dame - Our Featured Thread on our sister site "The Easy Garden"
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. BYH Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Fence placement around house

Discussion in 'Fencing, Housing, Manure Management' started by Jessica C, Feb 12, 2019.

1. Feb 12, 2019
    Jessica C

Jessica C Chillin' with the herd

I need to fence my 4 acres for an LGD, goats or sheep, and poultry. My house on property sits pretty far back. Behind it I’ve got a smaller 5 ft chain link fenced area for my two dogs, GSD and mix.
    My driveway runs up the east of the house and there’s a strip to that side that I want to plant fruit trees/bushes. So I want to fence to the west of the driveway.
    My dilemma is, once I fence up from the front property line, what do I do near the house?
    How do you all deal with strong fencing around a house without it looking like a prison? And goats peering in your windows? At the same time, I’d like the LGD to have access to the house and front porch.
    Any suggestions? Thanks!

2. Feb 12, 2019
    B&B Happy goats

B&B Happy goats Herd Master Golden Herd Member

I am not worried about impressing my neighbors, I wouldn't want my goats to be able to climb on the siding of my home, so I would move the fence out some from the house., which may give your dog the space he needs to get to porch and protect your home....

CntryBoy777 and Jessica C like this.
  3. Feb 12, 2019
    Jessica C

Jessica C Chillin' with the herd

I want the dog to be able to reach the house but as you describe not the goats. But the dog will be with them. How would he have access to both? Thanks!

B&B Happy goats and CntryBoy777 like this.
  4. Feb 12, 2019
    CntryBoy777

CntryBoy777 Herd Master

If you use the fence away from the house, then the house can be enclosed with the opposite side of the fence containing the animals. The answer would be by placing gates in different portions of the fence there would be access to the house and animals....tho, it would rely on you to open the gates or close the gates to deny access by the livestock animals. If an LGD is used, then it should stay with the animals while they are active in the pasture....if they are penned or housed at night, then just leave the gates open so the LGD has full range of yard and pasture overnight....or, install jump-throughs in the fence and train the dog how to get through them.... @Mike CHS uses them with his at his place....hope it all works out for ya....:)

B&B Happy goats and promiseacres like this.
  5. Feb 12, 2019
    Mike CHS

Mike CHS Herd Master Golden Herd Member

The jump gates work well but of course, the bigger the dog, the larger the jump gate has to be. My Akbash can just barely make it through the gates and since I'm afraid he will get hurt, I closed off that access. I also have hot wire upper and lower so working around that to make sure the dogs don't get shocked can be a challenge.

I have seen where some folk build a ladder 'like' structure across their fence which works for sheep but wouldn't for goats.

B&B Happy goats and CntryBoy777 like this.