Fence tester/fault finder

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
I hate to laugh but BTDT -- so I know the desperation, frustration, expense, tight $ and time too well. Personally, I dislike the pulse boxes. The good old plug in, knock you on your butt joles are better for animal respect and testing clearly. I'm getting ready to run electric again, after several yrs without using, to help protect new fence that costs a fortune. Dreading the task.

I think you're losing power in the line. Maybe weed, grass on it...or a bad spot in the wire, a tiny contact off, a rusted section in wire. Any wire that's connected. If you have a metal post, even the wire too close to it can disrupt the flow. I'd walk the fence and look at all that type thing first...it's free😵‍💫.

Assume you have a good ground rod already pounded in...be sure the wire to that is tight, also at box. Those screws could be loose.

canesisters

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yep, walking the line to inspect every single insulator, every join & patched place & to flag places where that poly-wire has gotten scuffed or frayed is first thing Sat AM. I figure I'll make a shopping/wish list.

Grounding question (please don't laugh too much).
The original grounding post is just on the otherside of the wall where the charger is. When that guy came, we ran a line underground all the way across the front of the barn to another post next to the pasture gate post. We tied it in to the grounding post that the power company put in when the meter went on the barn. So there are 3 ground posts along roughly 60' of buried line - copper I believe. The area stays fairly damp there from a small natural spring.
Would it do any good to pound a 4th post in in the far corner of the pasture & attach THAT to a non-insulated line in the fence if none of that is physically connected to the underground line & 3 posts?? I was reading about a "grounding line" in the fence but not entirely understanding it.
Ex: 3 lines - lowest not insulated & attached to all of the posts & the seperate grounding post, middle & top insulated & charged.

canesisters

Herd Master
Reaction score
I hate to laugh but BTDT -- so I know the desperation, frustration, expense, tight $ and time too well. Personally, I dislike the pulse boxes. The good old plug in, knock you on your butt joles are better for animal respect and testing clearly. I'm getting ready to run electric again, after several yrs without using, to help protect new fence that costs a fortune. Dreading the task.

I think you're losing power in the line. Maybe weed, grass on it...or a bad spot in the wire, a tiny contact off, a rusted section in wire. Any wire that's connected. If you have a metal post, even the wire too close to it can disrupt the flow. I'd walk the fence and look at all that type thing first...it's free😵‍💫.

Assume you have a good ground rod already pounded in...be sure the wire to that is tight, also at box. Those screws could be loose.
Uuummmm..... where can I get one of those 'good'ol knock you on your butt' chargers???