Fencing by brand name

Scooby308

Loving the herd life
Reaction score

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have used Red Brand, Lowe's brand, and our local lumber yard brand but never HD. I personally haven't seen any difference in any of it and we have a lot of fence. I go with whatever is the cheapest.

I use that fencing for all my goats. I have standard size dairy and had boers. I just run a hot wire top and at knee height. They totally respect my fences.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
We fenced a previous place with the field fence. It is total crap. We have horses and they stuck their hooves in it and tore it all up. A neighboring stud horse got loose and pawed the fence and tore it up too. We didn't have a hot wire on it. Maybe that would have made a difference.

We recently bought a home on 8 acres, nothing fenced. We are using the 2"x4" non-climb horse wire from Tractor Supply. Yes, it costs more, but it will keep our animals in and other animals, like the stray dogs up the road, OUT. Check prices at neighboring towns. We live close to Tyler, Tx. Another town Tractor Supply is closer, but the wire was $10 more a roll. So we buy 6 rolls at a time, with 7' T-posts at the store in Tyler. We also asked for a discount and got it-$5 more off per roll! Minimum purchase was 10 rolls, but we told the manager that we were fencing 8 acres and would be buying more, so she gave us the discount on the 6 rolls. We are using the 7' T-posts with 2 strands of barb wire on top to make a 5' tall fence. Also to keep the horses from "necking" over the fence.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
I hate the field fence too. If I were staying here and not moving I'd be tearing it all down. HATE IT! Especially with Nigie kids- at 2-3 lbs they go through a field fence in a heartbeat. Even goats with no horns stick their head through and if you get one that has its head through all the way to the neck and another goat sticks its head through the same hole you will be getting the wire cutters. :\
I love the 2x4 no climb but I only use it in certain places.
Have you looked at the 4x4 goat fence. So far everyone I know who has it has been very happy with it.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
I always use the 2x4 no climb, but not always from Tractor Supply. I haven't seen any differences in any of the woven 2x4 no climb wire from different places. I have one fence line with the 4x4 goat/sheep wire and it is ok, but again, I have hot wire on every fence line so nobody messes with the fence. When I install fence I S T R E T C H the heck out of it so it has to stand up to that torture, so far all the ones I have used have withstood my abuse.