Fencing, high tensile or woven sheep/goat? Also best interior fencing? PermaNet??

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
And driven by the need for food! Not quite the same as Fido who gets fed at least twice a day and gets to be picky about what he will eat.

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
My neighbor saw a coyote sail over her 6' fence into her chicken yard then sail out again with a chicken in it's mouth. From a standstill.

And also, we have 6 grandsons under 4yo. Bringing the pups up with them should make for some child friendly dogs, right? Or is important to also consider one breed over another when it comes to kids?
Guardian dogs love small children and babies. However if you plan to have lots of other visitors, or your children are not frequent visitors, you need to socialize your LGDs. Get a puppy to introduce to your adult children, or get one of the easy going breeds. Anatolians are not going to allow casual visitors to wander in and out. We have deadlocks on our gates and lock up our dogs in a kennel run or the barn if we have workers on the property. Our male is more protective and we lock him up when we have a large party or BBQ with friends and family other than the immediate family to avoid any problems. We also raised all our perimeter fences to 7' tall. We still find the occasional dead coyote carcass inside the perimeter fence.

We had Pyrs that were easygoing although they roamed. The surrounding 100 acres were being patrolled but while they were doing their far patrols they were not in the yard with my livestock! Once our children were grown, not bringing home friends, and we were not 4-H leaders with frequent adult visitors, we went to Anatolians. They are absolutely foolproof with our grandchildren. We have 8 - ages 14 years to 7 months. Three babies were born before getting our first Anatolian. Other than when they are first walking and the dogs tower over them, they are completely at home with the dogs. The dogs would die before allowing anything to happen to any of us.

Check out different breeds and different bloodlines within the breeds. Some breeds are more sharp than others, and there is a great variation in personalities in the individual members of different breeds too.

chanceosunshine

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
My neighbor saw a coyote sail over her 6' fence into her chicken yard then sail out again with a chicken in it's mouth. From a standstill.

Guardian dogs love small children and babies. However if you plan to have lots of other visitors, or your children are not frequent visitors, you need to socialize your LGDs. Get a puppy to introduce to your adult children, or get one of the easy going breeds. Anatolians are not going to allow casual visitors to wander in and out. We have deadlocks on our gates and lock up our dogs in a kennel run or the barn if we have workers on the property. Our male is more protective and we lock him up when we have a large party or BBQ with friends and family other than the immediate family to avoid any problems. We also raised all our perimeter fences to 7' tall. We still find the occasional dead coyote carcass inside the perimeter fence.

We had Pyrs that were easygoing although they roamed. The surrounding 100 acres were being patrolled but while they were doing their far patrols they were not in the yard with my livestock! Once our children were grown, not bringing home friends, and we were not 4-H leaders with frequent adult visitors, we went to Anatolians. They are absolutely foolproof with our grandchildren. We have 8 - ages 14 years to 7 months. Three babies were born before getting our first Anatolian. Other than when they are first walking and the dogs tower over them, they are completely at home with the dogs. The dogs would die before allowing anything to happen to any of us.

Check out different breeds and different bloodlines within the breeds. Some breeds are more sharp than others, and there is a great variation in personalities in the individual members of different breeds too.
Are Pyrs able to jump a 4' fence? I like the idea of a fiercely protective breed but I sure can't afford to have one take a neighbor out. Are they more likely to attack right away or do they give fair warning? I have some neighbors I'd like to be dissuaded from being on the property but I don't want them maimed.
Will doing a search for "easy going breeds" in the LGD area bare results?

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
My Pyrenees was easily contained, @Baymule had a difficult to contain Pyrenees.

:idunno

I loved our Pyrenees, he was super sweet with the baby and kept all "evil things " squirrels, birds, from our back yard.

Blue Sky

Herd Master
Reaction score
I feel like I need to expand on my opinion about Boz Kangals. An article from the Kangal Dog of America homepage ( I don’t see it there now) described BKs as a breed invented in Turkey a few years ago to take advantage of the growing market for LGDs.
Unfortunately other Turkish breeds were intermingled with the LGDs. There have been problems with certain Anatolian bloodlines since, especially regarding aggression. Be very careful about where you get an Anatolian Shepherd.