Fencing through boulders & messy woods

erschrack

Just born
Reaction score
Hi all! I'm new here and so excited to learn and prepare for the goats we anticipate getting in the near future. My biggest concern is related to fencing- two sides of our perimeter fence will have to go through overgrown rocky (giant bolder field!) woods and I'm not sure how to even approach the problem... I don't think there's any hope in getting fence posts in anywhere and there's no vehicle/machine access... Can I use trees to support electric fencing in this type of scenerio? Suggestions welcome!

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Greetings from the front range in Colorado :frow:welcome! I can't really help you with your fencing issues but wanted to wish you well and success in the attempt!

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
I use trees all of the time. I know they say you shouldn't as the die, grow, rot, whatever it is trees do but I have oak trees and a lot of them and I use them for fence posts quite often; I won't cut down a tree just to put in a fence. I just use some long screws and attach the fence insulator to the tree. Get long screws so you can get into the "meat" of the tree and not just the bark. Oaks are easy, the bark isn't very thick, but pines I have to get longer screws.

Another thing you can do if you don't want to screw into the tree is to get those fiberglass step in fence posts and attach them to the tree with a piece of wire wrapped around the trunk of the tree. You can use a piece of old hose or drip tubing to protect the tree from the wire if you are worried.

And welcome to BYH. Goats are addicting so be warned. ;)

chiques chicks

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
While you can attach fencing to trees, be aware that if anyone, at any time in the future cuts the trees, they will not be happy.

A few years ago I cleared some trees around my house. We were having them cut in to boards and beams with a portable sawmill. One beautiful hemlock was being cut in to beams and one, just one scree was in it. Totally destroyed a $300 band saw blade instantly. It would do the same to a chainsaw, plus be very dangerous.

The same applies to writes, chains, nails and the like. The tree will grow over them, hiding them.

erschrack

Just born
Reaction score
Thank you for the input. It appears that trees were used in the distant past for various tree stands/fencing and I'm not super concerned with adding another screw or two. Is electric fencing OK for a perimeter fence? We're in nj and I think our biggest predator concerns here are raccoons, fox, hawks, etc though that applies more to the chickens I presume. We have black bears as well but I don't think they prey on chickens and goats-though correct me if I'm wrong. Also, if I use electric around our small property, do I need an additional "goat fence" or will the one suffice (with additional interior fence to keep the dog out and the goats contained to an area)?

chiques chicks

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Some people use multi strand electric for goats, it should work. I'm not an expert on that.

As far as predators, I'm in PA. I would add coyote to that list. I'm rather sure you have them, you just may not see them. I know we have them here. And dogs. Dogs running lose can be major. Both are threats to goats.

I'm personally somewhat lax in predator protection. My chickens are pretty much open game. My turkey pen is enclosed. My goat pen is getting electric above 5 feet of sturdy fence. Greetings nearby has had two attacks on chicken and duck pens, lost 30+ each time to coyote. Has had some losses to neighborhood dogs who dug under a fence as well. Electric is a better deterrent to predators ( except airborne) IMO.

Bossroo

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Thank you for the input. It appears that trees were used in the distant past for various tree stands/fencing and I'm not super concerned with adding another screw or two. Is electric fencing OK for a perimeter fence? We're in nj and I think our biggest predator concerns here are raccoons, fox, hawks, etc though that applies more to the chickens I presume. We have black bears as well but I don't think they prey on chickens and goats-though correct me if I'm wrong. Also, if I use electric around our small property, do I need an additional "goat fence" or will the one suffice (with additional interior fence to keep the dog out and the goats contained to an area)?
All of the predators that you mentioned may not attack the adult goat, but they WILL take the kids. The bears will kill the goats. Now, in NE , you not only have the coyotes but also the coywolf, coydog,and coywolfdog crossbreds which are much larger and wiser so will kill adult goats in seconds. :ep

erschrack

Just born
Reaction score
So how many strands/how high of a fenced for above mentioned predators??

Latest posts