FergusonK's journal - Goodbye Java Jewel.

Ferguson K

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'm doing this off of my phone so bare with me. I am currently without a computer. Yay! Hopefully I'll get one next week or so.

We have horses, goats, pigs, dogs, cats, cows, and many... Many kinds of poultry.

I'll post pictures of the animals at a later date. My phone hates me!

1. What state/province/country are you in and what is your climate like?

We're in East Texas. It's very humid and miserably hot most of the year. Sweating buckets is one way to put our everyday lives. A good rinse off with the house before going inside is typically needed. This time of year 40 degree temperature swings are pretty common.

2. How many people are in your family? Marital status?

My husband and I are the only people in our house. We're hoping one day for two legged kids, instead of the four legged hairy kind.

3. How would you define your farm?

Chaos. Constant.

4. What would you do with your spare time if you had any resources you needed?

I think we've honestly forgotten what free time feels like. My husband and I are constantly running 110 everywhere we go from the time we get up until we all over dead. Between work, shows, and sales... We're never still.

5. Have you ever built a house, barn , or other types of building? Do you want to?

My husband and I bought a fixer upper. It was cute. Tiny. Small. Awesome! Perfect!

Wrong.

This house had been a nightmare to rebuild. The wiring is 40-50 years old. Some of which us aluminum wiring. Most of it faulty. Flickering switches, power surges, faulty plugs.... Yeah. I wouldn't do it twice... Probably.

Watching our home transform has been amazing. Its gone from embarrassment to achievement in less than a year. One penny at a time we've built our home.

6. Can you weld? Steel, aluminum, MiG, TiG, stick, Oxy-Acet?

I could probably start a fire with a welder.

7. Who or what inspired you to be a farmer/rancher, hobby farmer?

I was born into a family of farmers. My husband was born into the city. He fell into place, and we bought a property of our own last year.

8 Is it a hobby or an occupation?

Both. Its a need.

9. In what areas are you knowledgeable and in what areas would you like to learn more?

Definitely have more knowledge on chickens and ducks than I think any human being should ever have to learn in a lifetime. I raised goats, pigs, steer, heifers, goats, and lambs in 4H/FFA. The breeding side is a whole new world to us.

10. In what types of farming will you never choose to do?

I'm confused by this question.

11. Are you interested in providing more of your own food supply?

My husband and I grow about 50% of our food, and hunt another 20% or so.

12. Where do you end up when you sink into yourself, away from the outside world?

The pens. In amongst the goats with a book.

13. Can you drive a farm tractor or a semi?

Both.

14. Do you make crafts or useful items? Would you want to teach others how to do these?

I am the opposite of crafty, however, I'm amazing with a camera or paper art.

15. Can you legally have all forms of livestock where you are at? Do you have any? What kinds?

Legally we can own many animals.

16. Can you operate a lathe? Metal, wood?

Negative ghost rider.

17. Do you like to garden? If so, what do you enjoy growing?

I have everything from flower gardens to vegetable gardens. We even have a few fruit trees.

18. Do you fish? Bait or explosives?

Nope.

19. How much space/land do you have or rent? City farm? Country?

We own about five acres, lease another 18. We have plans to purchase another 20-30 acres in the next few years.

20. Are you a Novice, Technician, degreed?

Poultry breeding and genetics master.
Goat breeding and genetics novice.

Did not go to school, was busy chasing my service man. ;)

21. What is your farm specialty? Or what one would you like to learn?

I'd say our farm specialty is poultry. Leaning more towards goats now.

22. If you could create a degree and curriculum, what would you major in and what classes would you take?

If I went back to college I'd get my masters in animal science.

23. Do you do wood work? framing, finish, cabinet?

I'm pretty handy with tools of all kinds. My father is aaster craftsman.

24. Are you interested in herbal animal medicine?

Not really sure.

25. If you could live any place you chose, where would it be?

Central Texas.

26. Do you use a wood stove for heating or cooking?

I wish!!

27. What would your ideal super hero/villain be?

Uh.

28. Are your family or friends also interested in animals?

Most of my friends are also farmers of some sort. Most of my family ranches.

29. Do you like to cook? Are you interested in whole foods and natural foods? raw milk? farm fresh eggs?

Short answer, I love food. I love everything about food. I love cooking and baking. I wish I had more time to dedicate to these things.

30. What was your best animal experience? Worst?

Worst animal experiences all involve horses. One was stolen. One hit by a car due to bad fencing ( and one fired barn manager ). One coliced and died in my arms. The list goes on.

Best? Hard to say. There's been so many amazing moments.

31. Do you forage or hunt for part of your food needs?

We hunt regularly.

32. What skills do you have that help you be more a self sufficient farm?

Canning, preserving, baking, cheesing.

33. Do you process your own meat? Can or preserve?

We process and freeze all our own meat. I don't can or pot much meat.

34. Do you use alternative energy sources on your farm? Would you like to?

We plan on going solar.... Eventually...

35 What is on your to do list?

Climb Mount Everest.
Skydive.
Visit the 7 wonders of the world.

36. Have you ever lived completely off what you produce? Would you like to?

I like meat to much. I could of I have to.

37. In what do you trust?

Trust how? My funds? My life?

38. Do you make and fix things yourself to save money?

We try to.

39. Has the experience with animals changed your attitude or habits?

Well having animals makes vacationing a thing of the past. To take a two day weekend we have to plan months in advance and find a sitter. Then make sure we can afford to pay the sitter. Etc. Etc.

Ferguson K

Herd Master
Reaction score
We went to trade days today to sell quail. Well... My husband picked up my birthday present while we were there.

He's a Vietnamese potbelly. Cutest little bugger! He bit my husband at least once today, but, rode quietly in my lap on the way home. Meet Burr!

Ferguson K

Herd Master
Reaction score
IMG_20150927_160442.jpg
IMG_20150927_161204.jpg
IMG_20150927_165800.jpg

Burr is settling in nicely. He spent the night in our barn last night, and woke up this morning covered in shavings. Now I have to pick him up some food, because I only have pig feed for adult pigs. Not only is he young, only about six weeks, but Burr is a miniature pig. I realized when I woke up this morning I never attached pictures of him. Better late than never I suppose.

We finally got some rain last night so I'm very glad I left him in the barn. All of our adult pigs are very upset with us because I did not leave the barn doors open for them. Apparently The goats got into a fight, because their shelter was destroyed and their barn was full of water. I don't know what's gotten into my animals lately, maybe it was the frog I found in their water trough this morning. Or maybe it's the fact that my husband and I have been putting in so many hours at our real jobs, we have been mentally neglecting or animals. WIthout mental stimulation they're finding other things to do, like destroying shelters, but also like tearing a hole in their brand new fence. I'm not exactly sure how that would happen.

real no goat milk in the rain, so I suppose that's why they were screaming at me all morning long, but it does get kind of annoying. We did pretty good at the Conroe trade days yesterday, we only brought home two ducklings and we took over 200 birds. Oh and let's not forget the pig, my husband did buy me a pig while we were there. This means that we're officially sold out of everything we had for sale. Unless I put anything else in the incubator, which I probably won't, we're done for the year. No more hatching, no more babies, until February.

The Nigerian bucklings are attempting to enter their first rut. It's cute. The girls, thus far, are unimpressed. They'd been able to hold off the bucks so far it seems. without a chalk collar I can't be for certain though, especially because there was an entire week my husband and I were out of town while my mother took care of everybody.

Now all animals are fed and I'm off to work!

Here's the giant toad I rescued from imminent death.
IMG_20150928_094150.jpg

samssimonsays

Milo & Me Hoppy Tail Acres
Reaction score
somewhere in the Northern region of Minnesota
I LOVE the pig! Burr is so darn cute! And my animals get freaked out by the giant toads we have here. The other day I couldn't for the life of me figure out WHY my goats were being so horrible, I found a mouse in their water bucket. They have been fine since. Hope things settle down a bit for you lol.

goatgurl

Herd Master
Reaction score
i have heard of texas killer toads, obviously the goats have too... burr is adorable, so now that you have him what are you going to do with him?

Ferguson K

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thanks! I don't remember when our feeder pigs were last this tiny. They're almost freezer ready now. The batch before was already big before we brought them home. Burr is lonely, and a little aggressive. I think its due to him being afraid. He will tame and settle with time.

The goats seemed to be calming down when I left. Lilly acted like she was on fire when I picked up the toad. That toad lives in the pen. Figured they'd be used to him.

The cooler weather and rain surely isn't helping anything except the plants. All of the animals are worked up in a huff.

Tomorrow or the next day we areoving the pig pen. More underbrush needs to be destroyed. LOL. They're cheaper than a chainsaw.

Ferguson K

Herd Master
Reaction score
My husband and I decided better late than never and castrated three young hogs. Young. Strong. Male... You see where this is going??

Let me lay the scene: Cool fall air with just the perfect amount of breeze. Freshly moved hog pen, without set posts to keep the hogs in. Did not re equip the hot wire yet. Figured what they hey, the boys are in a good mood! Grabbed the smallest by the back legs and chaos ensued. Three 100+lb hogs hit unanchored cattle panels and tore off down the pasture. We finished the first hog, but not before a few good whallops to the head and knees by some angry feet. Quick clot applied and let him go into the grazing pen.

Guess what?

It still wasn't anchored or hot...

Yup.

Little pig (75+lbs) tears off down the fence line to his buddies. Into the briar patch. In it. A briar patch. They begin rooting and tearing away at all the fun edible plants while we figure out how the hay we're going to get full grown loose hogs back in their pen!

Okay. Idea. Let's pour some feed out and call the pigs. Great idea if you OPEN the gate. Pigs now realize they're truly free. All three boys are now running full speed to the garden. Closely flanking them is my husband and German Shepherd. Karma likes pigs. He likes eating pigs. Now husband has to out run Karma.... Not happening. Karma finally recalls and heels, hogs are finally trapped in garden.

Breath a little. Grab pig walker. Breath a little more. Husband then begins laughing hysterically, I laugh hysterically at the chaos that just took place in our front yard. What a sight this must have been to the neighbors watching us chase these big pigs!!

Took us another hour to get the boys back into their pen and the pen set back up. Poor little pig bled all over the place due to running from us. Going to catch him tomorrow and repack the wound. I think he still hates me today.

The other hogs got a good laugh and got to keep their baby makers another day. Round two this evening.

They know who won.... At least Pork Chop and Backstrap aren't to mad. They came up for snuggles.
IMG_20150929_200136.jpg
IMG_20150929_181805.jpg
IMG_20150913_145201.jpg
IMG_20150913_145203.jpg

goatgurl

Herd Master
Reaction score
thanks Ferguson K i need a good laugh this morning. the visual in my minds eye was priceless.

Ferguson K

Herd Master
Reaction score
Round two wasn't much better. Poor pig went to his new home hating life, but, unable to create it.

The other two boys will hopefully be done this evening. Life happened yesterday.