FergusonK's journal - Goodbye Java Jewel.

lalabugs

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
So sorry for you & damsel. I'm praying surgery goes smoothly. Please keep us updated when you can.

Ferguson K

Herd Master
Reaction score
Okay she's out, we're home. When she was coming out of anesthesia she started screaming and I about got in a wreck. I realized why she was screaming and had a hysterical laughter fit.

37 stitches and one drain tube later, she's been out on stall rest. She tore her miniscus, dislocated her platella, and had a HUGE DEEP laceration in the bone. Nothing broken (thank god). He sucked out all fluid and blood and stitched her up one layer at a time. The hole went all the way through the muscle but didn't tear the other side of the skin.

Her bone is still leaking so they put in a tube.

Here's some pictures of the AFTER.
20161010_200106.jpg
20161010_200259.jpg
20161010_200335.jpg
20161010_200402.jpg

Vet says it's clean and she should heal well, but her show days May be done... she will make a good brood doe if that leg doesn't correct itself and she can't walk right again.

I'm just happy she still has all four legs.

And she's home.

And alive.

20161010_200407.jpg

I don't have any before pictures. I was in to big of a hurry.

We're not out of the woods yet. The bone is still leaking fluid (hence the drain) so we have to watch the swelling and make sure the stitches don't tear.

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
So HAPPY she came through! I know you have such high hopes for her as a show doe - but I also know that you're glad to just have her still. Hoping the recovery goes well and no more surprises for you and your critters!

Ferguson K

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thank you.

I didn't know I could pick her up. Apparently adrenaline does funny things, even with a bad back!

Damsel is a whopping 62lbs. She's gained 15lbs since her weigh in for Dallas.

I think she will slow down a tad now with all of this.

Friday she goes back for more xrays to check and make sure everything is still ok in there and no signs of infection in the bone.

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
Poor girl, glad she is home now. Hoping she has a 100% recovery!
If she doesn't ever see the show ring again, that's okay. Not what you wanted but I'd take a good brood doe over a dead doe!

Good job at getting her taken care of so quickly! :hugs

Ferguson K

Herd Master
Reaction score
Poor girl, glad she is home now. Hoping she has a 100% recovery!
If she doesn't ever see the show ring again, that's okay. Not what you wanted but I'd take a good brood doe over a dead doe!

Good job at getting her taken care of so quickly! :hugs

If she never sees a show ring again she can still be LA and DHIR.

I'm more excited that she kept the leg and is alive.

lalabugs

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
So happy for a positive outcome. Praying that recovery is smooth.

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thank you.

I didn't know I could pick her up. Apparently adrenaline does funny things, even with a bad back!

Damsel is a whopping 62lbs. She's gained 15lbs since her weigh in for Dallas.

I think she will slow down a tad now with all of this.

Friday she goes back for more xrays to check and make sure everything is still ok in there and no signs of infection in the bone.
I know the feeling.
A few years ago I had gone out to the back woods and found one of our full grown Nigerian bucks (75+ lbs) had a severe eye injury, it looked intensely bulged out of its socket and and the top layer was completely white.
I carried him all the way home, through the small seasonal streams and all.