FergusonK's journal - Goodbye Java Jewel.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
What is it with goats and copper. I have a good mineral for them, and they get multi-min every 4-5 months and they still look like they are copper deficient. It is a royal pain. I used to do the boluses and that didn't help either.

Maybe they are getting too much now. Since doing the multi-min and the increase in consumption of minerals it is possible.

Toxicity looks just like deficiency with copper.

Ferguson K

Herd Master
Reaction score
Getting ready to clip him. The lack of copper look should be go away with his new due.

We feed sweet lix and give Copper twice a year.

High sulfur in our water keeps them from absorbing a few proper nutrients.

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
What is it with goats and copper. I have a good mineral for them, and they get multi-min every 4-5 months and they still look like they are copper deficient. It is a royal pain. I used to do the boluses and that didn't help either.

I dunno..i gave mine copper bolus and they started to put on weight for about 2 months, i shaved them down to get rid of the copper and it grew right back, fishtail never went away either. I put out goat minerals just for them and locked the sheep away from them...put them on a goat grain....no change. I gave May a cobalt Bolus....no change.

I don't get what is going on with the goats either, i get them and they are fat and healthy and then 4 months later they look like poo. The sheep are on the exact same diet again, same pasture, just no added copper, all the sheep are in great condition so far and have been for months even those that lambed. I don't get it.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I dunno..i gave mine copper bolus and they started to put on weight for about 2 months, i shaved them down to get rid of the copper and it grew right back, fishtail never went away either. I put out goat minerals just for them and locked the sheep away from them...put them on a goat grain....no change. I gave May a cobalt Bolus....no change.

I don't get what is going on with the goats either, i get them and they are fat and healthy and then 4 months later they look like poo. The sheep are on the exact same diet again, same pasture, just no added copper, all the sheep are in great condition so far and have been for months even those that lambed. I don't get it.
Sounds to me that they are conspiring against you to drive you crazy.

Ferguson K

Herd Master
Reaction score
@Southern by choice my bucks are fleshy.

DSC_0401.JPG
DSC_0370_1.JPG

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
I don't think they are over conditioned.

A deep body doesn't indicate that they are overweight. If you look at the flesh on the top line, neck, and rear legs you can tell that they aren't overweight. :thumbsup

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
When I look at the hip/loin area it doesn't look fleshy ... IMO he looks just right. :thumbsup:thumbsup:thumbsup

:hide don't tell GW but Clover and Carolina Girl ... almost embarrassing- the I look at some of the other dwarfs that are NOT them... and it makes me go "are they skinny?" because the red twins are ROTUND. They jiggle when they walk.

Ferguson K

Herd Master
Reaction score
@Goat Whisperer my juniors a little chunky in the brisket and in front of the legs but he's alright. My senior looks like a watermelon from the front. He eats well!

They dont get grain, either. That's pure hay on them.

DSC_0350_1.JPG

I dont have a front view of Hollar. I didn't have any helpers to hold them so I got what I could. I really like Brownies topline.

DSC_0330.JPG