FergusonK's journal - Goodbye Java Jewel.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
As is often the case, I don't catch up on a thread until I read both the "Oh ****!!!" and the "Looks like she'll be OK" posts in the same sitting. So glad Zinnia pulled through!!!

Ferguson K

Herd Master
Reaction score
She's doing much better but looks like walking death. Still giving her iron and antibiotics. She's lost a LOT of weight...

norseofcourse

Herd Master
Reaction score
Got caught up and I'm pulling for her here, too - you've done a great job with her so far!

Ferguson K

Herd Master
Reaction score
Life has a funny way of happening. This week we say goodbye to our dairy herd. It's become something of a task to care for them. I'm over whelmed with my husband being gone for work. It was a tough decision but one I needed to make. I do not have the time to milk twice a day and fill feeders and care for them. They're starting to suffer and have become more of a money pit. I can no longer justify them.

I thoroughly enjoy horses. I have lived an equus life my entire adult hood. The past few months of not riding due to having lame horses has been tough. Losing Maya (which I see i never posted here) woke something up inside me. We made the decision to sell the goats and are acting on it. Most of them sold within hours of being up. Benefits of selective breeding and quality goats, I suppose.

I'm starting a new chapter, which is an old chapter. I'm getting back into riding and rodeo. I'm going back to doing what I love most. Spending time in the saddle and not behind a goats rear. One day I'll have goats again, one day when I have time. Today is not that time.

We're introducing two new faces while saying goodbye to the goats.

Two rescued AQHA / APHA mares with broken pasts. Xena is every horseman's dream. Well mannered, well started, well taught. Secret, on the other hand, is a bit of a project. I pick her up next week.

Here's to starting a familiar new chapter, getting back into a passion that has driven me since I was a child. When I was 5/6 I was so desperate to ride I actually rode a cow. "Rachel". I'll dig up the pictures eventually. When I was 6/7 I befriended the man up the road with horses and started riding with him. By the time I was a teenager I was enthralled. It never went away.

My two surviving seniors have deserved their retirement and are living the retired life out in the pasture.

I can not wait to saddle up Xena and go hit the trails, but she has to finish quarantine first and get the all clear from the vet. That, however, is a story for another day.

Last edited:

Ferguson K

Herd Master
Reaction score
Secret:
FB_IMG_1498000685209.jpg

Xena:
IMG_2379.jpg

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
Although I'm sad you have to sell the herd, I think you made the right choice and I'm glad you were able to follow what you truly love :hugs Your loss of Maya is something I think of often. Sometimes it takes a loss to, as you said, be an "eye opener" so to speak.

Your new horses are beautiful! I look forward to hearing about your new adventure with them.

(Btw
You accidentally put pics up of
Buttin Heads Panache and Buttin heads black idresh rose on the first post- may want to edit that)

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
Although I'm sad you have to sell the herd, I think you made the right choice and I'm glad you were able to follow what you truly love :hugs Your loss of Maya is something I think of often. Sometimes it takes a loss to, as you said, be an "eye opener" so to speak.

Your new horses are beautiful! I look forward to hearing about your new adventure with them.

(Btw
You accidentally put pics up of
Buttin Heads Panache and Buttin heads black idresh rose on the first post- may want to edit that)

I'm not surprised at all that you recognized the goats. :)

Ferguson K

Herd Master
Reaction score
Xena and I have an "interview" for mounted patrol in a few weeks.

When I lived in North Texas, Maya and I were members of the U.S. Marshal Possey. There's a program locally that I would like to get back into.