Fermenting feed...

Nao57

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
So someone told me you can ferment chicken laying mash and not only whole grains in the seed form.

Can anyone confirm this?

Most of the articles I saw it looked like it was only the full seed version.

But I'd like to know if it can be done with normal laying mash also (for poultry)?

Thanks.

Kusanar

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Yes, you can. There are entire massive threads about this over on Backyard Chickens if you want to pop over there for more info or details.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I ferment the feed for the Cornish Cross I raise for meat. I start it with cultured buttermilk. I keep several buckets going with lids. When I feed a bucket, I always leave a little in the bucket to start the next batch.

Nao57

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I ferment the feed for the Cornish Cross I raise for meat. I start it with cultured buttermilk. I keep several buckets going with lids. When I feed a bucket, I always leave a little in the bucket to start the next batch.

Do you have to worry about mold or stuff going bad? (And how do you prevent this?)

I'm only asking this because I'd had so much trouble with BOSS.

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
So someone told me you can ferment chicken laying mash and not only whole grains in the seed form.

Can anyone confirm this?

Most of the articles I saw it looked like it was only the full seed version.

But I'd like to know if it can be done with normal laying mash also (for poultry)?

Thanks.

Been doing it for years now~layer mash and other grains~ and wouldn't go back to dry feeding if someone paid me. Saves me scads of money, makes the meat and eggs taste better and production and health increase.

Nao57

Loving the herd life
Reaction score

Been doing it for years now~layer mash and other grains~ and wouldn't go back to dry feeding if someone paid me. Saves me scads of money, makes the meat and eggs taste better and production and health increase.
Thank you very much.

I'm curious how much you safe once you get it efficient?

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thank you very much.

I'm curious how much you safe once you get it efficient?

Someone did the numbers on it years ago on BYC and it came to almost half the feed they used to feed when fed dry. They were quite meticulous in their records, measuring all their feed and keeping records of all expenses, so I figure they got it right.

Nao57

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Someone did the numbers on it years ago on BYC and it came to almost half the feed they used to feed when fed dry. They were quite meticulous in their records, measuring all their feed and keeping records of all expenses, so I figure they got it right.
That's fun! That's what I'm looking for!

Especially its hard when I go to the grocery store and seeing everything going up in prices all the time.

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
That's fun! That's what I'm looking for!

Especially its hard when I go to the grocery store and seeing everything going up in prices all the time.

To me, frugality is a fun game to practice....it also comes in real handy when it's needed the most and you have been doing it all along, so it's no shock to the system.

Nao57

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Does fermenting the feed and getting the gains from it still work OK, when its cold outside?

(And/Or would you have to ferment the feed inside?)