Fermenting?

nmred

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I have read on this board about the benefits of feeding fermented foods, but have no idea how you go about it. How, exactly, do you ferment vegies and/or grain? I am trying to get away from the bagged feeds because of cost (the cheapest "good" brand in our area is now up to $15.00 for a 50 lb. bag, even the crappy one is $13.00). I want to change it to vegies and grains that I can grow myself or obtain more cheaply without compromising their health, and understand that fermenting can greatly add to the nutritional aspects. I already sprout grain for them but would like to start fementing as well. I just have no idea how to go about it! Instructions and advice please!

Nao57

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I would test it on small batches first, to not lose money if it doesn't work. It can be frustrating if you buy a lot and then find out it may not work for you.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
What are you feeding? I give chickens and pigs fermented Feed and that’s all. Not for my sheep, horses or steer.

Nao57

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
What are you feeding? I give chickens and pigs fermented Feed and that’s all. Not for my sheep, horses or steer.
I feed ducks and chickens fermented or sprouts. Both work well for them.

I don't feed my rabbits this yet, because I want to experiment with getting it right. Supposedly you can feed sprouts to rabbits, but they are really easy to get sick from mold supposedly.

The reason I mention that, is that because some animals are more fragile whether or not you can do it with them also includes an added factor of 'maybe I should make sure I can keep the process really stable first'. (Rabbits aren't supposed to have fermented feed but some people give them sprouts. I've found its really hard to keep BOSS sprouts in adequate condition for rabbits, but I'm entertaining the idea of maybe wheat or barley sprouts later for them, as those seem to be more stable... we'll see.

I hope that helps.

Horses are definitely easy to mess up with bad feed. I wouldn't do anything experimental with them. My vet relative the most common ailment he'd treat in the horses in the area was cholicy horse problems. And often they'd be ruined by this condition.

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
You wouldn't want to feed a lot of fermented grains to ruminates as they do their own fermentation, as do horses and rabbits in one way or another. Usually it's only recommended for monogastric animals like poultry and pigs.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yeah, I wouldn't feed rabbits fermented feed, like Bee said, only pigs and poultry.