Fertilizer....

VickieB

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
At the expense of exposing myself as completely ignorant in the topic of raising rabbits and their poo...

I have my rabbits in cages with pans under them. Every day I go out, empty their pans into a 5 gallon buck, spray and scrub the pans, then take the bucket and dump it around a tree, or throw it into my shade garden. I know the poo is good fertilizer, but will the pee, which is still in the bucket, hurt my trees or plants?

nmred

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
No, the pee will not hurt. It just adds to the goodness:D

If you want to up the "amps" even more, let the wash/rinse water run into the same bucket. Let steep for a day or two to make manure tea, and pour that onto your plants. Really gives them a great boost!

Sycamore27

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I actually have had a related question bouncing around in my head for a bit.

Those who sell rabbit manure for people's gardens, do you bag up bedding poo and urine from trays? Or use just the poo, either by letting everything drop to the ground and raking just the poo or by using thick newspaper bedding so you can scoop off poo and dump the rest? Just curious as I don't have a very big garden to fertilize myself, and will likely be giving away or selling it to make a bit of feed money.

Cheers,
Jessie

VickieB

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Thanks, Nmred! I will make the "tea" and give it to my plants.

Sycamore, the woman I bought my rabbits from let the poo berries drop to the ground. She had a large rabbitry (hundreds of rabbits) and she would, every week or so if I remember correctly, rake it up, bag it up, and trade it for homemade soap.

Latest posts