FF Bagging up Early

Goatgirl47

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
One of our goats, Penelope, is due April 6th (and this will be her first time), but she is already bagging up. I thought that first freshener's start getting their udder approximately six weeks before kidding?

Thanks!

Pearce Pastures

Barn Babe
Reaction score
When you say bagging up, do you mean TIGHT, like no longer soft because it is full? That would not be normal and I would wonder about my due date. But as far as an udder developing, I have had both those that barely have an udder until they kid and some that start months beforehand, getting quite a large build but still soft.

Goatgirl47

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
No, it's not tight, just there is a little fat-like bulge. :D Not a good description, I know.

It's like you said, @Pearce Pastures, a little build, but not very large, and it's soft, too.

Last edited:

goats&moregoats

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
They are so right...My first FF this year started developing a bag in late Nov. early Dec., if my memory serves me right. Her due date is Feb 12th...I have no earthly idea how she is going to make it that far. She looks like she is going to explode...bag, belly and lady parts. Another FF is also due the 12 of Feb. she has no signs of an utter, but has started to loose her mucus plug.:idunno

When they say each one is different they aren't kidding! :gig Pun intended.

They add their own little twist to the "doe code" and it's even more madding! :barnie:love. I have more FF following along over the next several months..this will be interesting this year

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
You have to think about this -- a FF had NO bag, only little teats. So she has to start earlier to get enough of a bag to hold the milk needed. Some start sooner.

A goat does stay within a pretty strict time for gestation, so that's why we all want to know date bred. Where a horse, for instance, can take 9.5-12 months. Depends on their size -- my minis generally ranged from 9.5-10 mos for the smaller ones and up to 10.5 mos for the larger/taller. Talk about a difference. I specialized in the smaller ones and had hard time making others who did not, realize the time difference was accurate......until they had a small one!

I can say that the mares would repeat the gestation with 3-4 days every time. Most often your does will, also. If you keep a good calendar you can know what to expect. Keep a chart with each doe and list their times. You'll find it works well.

Alibo

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
One of our goats, Penelope, is due April 6th (and this will be her first time), but she is already bagging up. I thought that first freshener's start getting their udder approximately six weeks before kidding?

Thanks!

I am going through this exact same thing! Almost to the very date. Following your thread closely, would love to see some pictures. What kind of goat, how old, how big? Lol love BYH because I can find an answer to every question

Goatgirl47

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Hi @Alibo! I actually posted this thread last year. :) We have since sold Penelope, but I still have a few pictures of her from around that time.

Penelope was, at that time, around 19-months-old. She was a Fainting goat, pretty small and short but very stout and heavy, I think we weight taped her at about 80 pounds. She ended up kidding on April 2nd with twins, a beautiful buckling and doeling. She did great, was a wonderful mama except that she weaned her kids when they were less than eight weeks old.

This picture was from mid February (of last year) I think....
DSCN1780.JPG

March 16
DSCN1954.JPG

I don't know when I took this
DSCN2025.JPG

March 26, what a tank. :lol:
RSCN2368.JPG

DSCN2317.JPG

Here is a link to a kidding thread I had for her and two other of our goats last year: https://www.backyardherds.com/threads/p-k-ms-kidding-thread.32821/

Alibo

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Sorry I should have looked at the date but thank you for sharing those pictures! She is gorgeous and that helps a lot. Glad to know she kidded healthy kids and my girl should hopefully too! My little doe is due beginning of April and her udder is two handfuls. She is a nubian/lamancha and only 86 lbs at 11 mo old. She hopped the fence herself to get to our buck and was not going to be bred until next season. I was very worried because she is stunted from cocci (bought her and her sister from horrid conditions as bottle babies) but she is healthy and our buck is much smaller than her so I think we are going to be ok. Vet is coming out soon to look her over

Latest posts