FF Developing Uneven Udder While Pregnant

KidMandy

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Hi All,

We have a one year old doe that we believe is due at the end of July. Her udder began developing normally, but is now completely lopsided. The smaller side feels flat, and the other is full and round. Both sides are producing milk.

I have heard of udders becoming uneven due to kids favouring sides (similar to human mamas and kids) but I don't understand why it would *develop* this way.

Is this normal? Are we looking at a potential low-producer?

Epona142

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Do you have any pictures? A developing udder - precocious included - shouldn't be uneven, and generally my first thought when I spot that is subclinical mastitis. There are several methods of handling this situation that you can find online, or from an experienced vet.

Occasionally a doe is naturally uneven, but a brewing mastitis problem is more common.

Goatgirl47

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
This year one of my FF does had the same thing - one side of her udder was fairly larger then the other. But after a few days it evened out again and she freshened with no mastitis or any other issues.

Do you have a picture of your doe's udder?

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
I too would be checking her for mastitis but if she truly is only a few weeks away from freshening she should be forming a nice little udder so the flat side might make me more concerned than the full side. Really hard to say. Like @Epona142 said, a picture would be good.

Reactions: TAH

KidMandy

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Here's a picture. Hopefully it gives you an idea. She did seem to start off normal, but then went to this.

I read online that does can develop their udder unevenly if they aren't pregnant (a false pregnancy). We did have an intact buck here that could have mated with her, but he was quite stunted in growth - almost the size of a Pygmy instead of the Alpine cross he was - and I was a little surprised to see her udder start growing.

Attachments

• IMG_20160709_181205442.jpg
    IMG_20160709_181205442.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 539
Last edited:

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
That is really uneven. I am not sure how I would handle this. I wouldn't want to milk her out if she is indeed pregnant but on the other hand I have one that never settles and I milk her every year, about a gallon a day so anything is possible. Is the end of July the last possible date for freshening? If you can get a CMT kit you could test her for mastitis and then just wait and see. If her due date comes and goes you might just want to milk her and see if she will come into full blown milk and even out.

KidMandy

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
@babsbag
The buck went to his new home within the first three days of March, so I guess we could be stretching it to very early August, but no more than that.

I'll talk to the vet about getting her tested for Mastitis. He might also have some thoughts on causes.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
You can buy a CMT kit at TSC. Every goat owner should have one on hand. Also, you can send in blood to bio-tracking and see if she is pregnant. Not sure how they would read a false pregnancy but you can ask. I think the test is less than 10.00