Fiber CSA Any thoughts?

Ninny

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I am wondering what people think of a fiber CSA. I have been researching different ways to market and I like this one. So what are your thoughts? Too risky?

Bridgemoof

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I don't know exactly how it would work. Do you have any details? I'd like to hear more :D

Ninny

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Bridgemoof said:
I don't know exactly how it would work. Do you have any details? I'd like to hear more :D
It works like a normal produce one. You would pay so much at the start of the year and get mailed yarn or roving either throughout the year or if you bought a whole fleece then at the end of the year when it gets back from the mill. Some farms you "adopt" a animal say an alpaca then you would get pictures through out the year of it. Once shearing day came you could help shear your animal and decide how to use it's fleece. You could just take it home or send it to the mill and design your prefect yarn or roving. My husband is leery of it because what if the animal dies etc... The money goes to take care of the animals and mill fees. Some farms offer classes and one free class is offered as part of your share or discounts in their farm shop. Really whatever you decide. I like it because you can do it as big or small as you like. Some times they offer different shares a big one then smaller.

Bridgemoof

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I think it sounds like a really good idea! And instead of adopting one animal, you would get roving or fleece from whatever animal is available, that way if something happens to one, you're not stuck having to refund money.

Ninny

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Bridgemoof said:
I think it sounds like a really good idea! And instead of adopting one animal, you would get roving or fleece from whatever animal is available, that way if something happens to one, you're not stuck having to refund money.
That is how most farms do it. I just happened across one who let you pick your animal. I would be more willing to do that one. Most shares seem to be around 100 dollars. I was thinking of doing more stuff gets sent through out the year because it would be me buying fleeces from people then sending to the mill. So it would be random stuff not just wool or something. So say you get a shipment four times a year and you chose a pound of roving. Here's an example. Spring- merino alpaca blend, Summer - blue faced Lancaster, Fall- angora alpaca mohair, Winter- alpaca. Maybe a art yarn share? A lb of your choice color of wool then dyed silk or mohair locks, Angelia etc.. Or maybe white wool and mohair locks so you can dye it. Tons of ideas! The fiber would be what I can get my hands on the year before I guess.:/ I don't have any fiber animals at the moment. I have two french angora rabbit kits coming and a friend with alpacas though. I want a solid plain to present to him and my husband.

Bridgemoof

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I think spinner's would flip for the variety. I think the varied selection as opposed to one animal would be really fun. But what is the advantage over spinner's just buying roving I wonder? Is it a better price to buy a share? I'm not that familiar with the produce CSAs, so you'll have to excuse my ignorance. Helps for you to talk it out, too, if you're trying to come up with a business plan!

For example, I can get a pound of Blue Faced Leicester roving on etsy for $27.00. So why should I buy into your fiber CSA at $100? (I'm playing devil's advocate).

List 3 reasons why someone would buy a fiber CSA over just buying roving...

I love your idea of working some kind of classes into the share.

:frow

michickenwrangler

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
What you should do is offer a variety of animals: alpacas, llamas, Angora goats, a few different breeds of sheep (some longwool some shortwool some exotic). That way people can get fiber from different animals to blend.

Processing: Do you just plan to sell the raw fiber? Is there a fiber mill nearby? Do you plan on doing it yourself?

The latter is very time consuming as I found out this summer trying to get my own fiber business going. Pick fleece, wash fleece, wash fleece, wash fleece, did I mention wash the fleece? Dry the fleece (takes awhile). Card either in a drum carder or with hand cards, both are time consuming. Dye the fiber at some point, draft into rolags or roving.

Look into a nearby fiber mill (I'm lucky, I have 2 close to me) and see what they charge for processing. Look into the market. Do people want roving? Do people want washed but uncarded fiber? Do they want it dyed? With chemical dyes or with natural dyes?

Visit a spinner's club and see what people buy and want and from what kind of animals.

Ninny

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I am planing on just selling natural colored yarn and maybe some dyed at first then branching out.
Edited to add: I am planing on sending it to a mill at first maybe do some art batts on my own.

Ninny

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Bridgemoof said:
I think spinner's would flip for the variety. I think the varied selection as opposed to one animal would be really fun. But what is the advantage over spinner's just buying roving I wonder? Is it a better price to buy a share? I'm not that familiar with the produce CSAs, so you'll have to excuse my ignorance. Helps for you to talk it out, too, if you're trying to come up with a business plan!

For example, I can get a pound of Blue Faced Leicester roving on etsy for $27.00. So why should I buy into your fiber CSA at $100? (I'm playing devil's advocate).

List 3 reasons why someone would buy a fiber CSA over just buying roving...

I love your idea of working some kind of classes into the share.

:frow
I think most people do it because they pay up front then get presents in the mail for some many months. Well that's why I would at least :love random presents Christmas all year long.

I will check out that link! I got my bunnies! I can not believe how soft they are. I am hoping to find some way to treat it so it won't felt. I want a bedspread knit out of it. But I have toddlers it needs to go in the washer. I don't have time of hand washing.

Latest posts