fiber farm

Ownedby3alpacas

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Hi!
I am interested in having a fiber farm, but have some questions.
First, what animals would you recommend I have? Something that will def make me money... I have 2 alpacas and will be getting my 3rd this winter after he's weaned :D so I know I want to have alpacas and am interested in getting a llama or 2 as well. I need to plan a list of animals that would be realistic, not just have my list of "I want..." (that list is my favorite though! It includes a camel and yaks!!!)

How do you make money off the fiber if you are no good at spinning and don't know how to knit or crochet or anything? Does selling it raw get much money? Or sending it to mills to be processed then selling?? What do you do with your fiber?

Also, .....well I can't think of any more right now, but if anyone has a fiber farm and has any info at all about ANYTHING please let me know. I'd appreciate any help. Thanks!

Boudicea farm

Just born
Reaction score
Hello I am also looking into fiber animals, I currently have 4 alpacas 2 suri girls and 2 yuacana geldings, I have a friend that spins and is willing to do a barter system on my fiber, She cards and spins and gets half, I get back yarn. I have been told that there are different fiber co ops out there that will process the fiber after you join. The fees vary I looked up a couple online, just punch in fiber co ops and wade through the info. As far as other fiber producing animals cashmere goats produce a wonderful soft fiber as well as sheep and rabbits. I don't raise cashnere's but have boer and nubian goats that get along really well with the alpacas. Just do some research and find the animals that will fit with the ones you already have, my suggestion would be to find animals that feed on different types of forage so there's not competition in the pasture. Goats are nice with alpacas because they like to browse on different food items, the alpacas will keep the grass trimmed and the goats will eat down weeds. Sheep can be hard on a pasture and compete with the alpacas on the same food source. I guess it really depends on the size property you are grazing and what type of plants are available. My friend spins all kinds of fibers sheep, rabbit, goat, alpaca, llama and even her dogs hair, so your only limited to your imagination.

gypsyridgefarm

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
We have angora goats. They are wonderful animals. Their fiber blends perfectly with alpaca. They are pretty easy keepers and make a good pasture mate for alpacas because they eat browse, and alpacas eat grass more. I am not a big sheep person. They are really noisy and not as good mothers.
You can get such great colors in angora and it takes dye like crazy. We figure that it costs us, about $150 per year per goat. We feed a lot of hay, though. If you would like to discuss angoras more just pm me. You can also check out our website www.gypsy-ridge-farm.com

Ownedby3alpacas

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
gypsyridgefarm said:
We have angora goats. They are wonderful animals. Their fiber blends perfectly with alpaca. They are pretty easy keepers and make a good pasture mate for alpacas because they eat browse, and alpacas eat grass more. I am not a big sheep person. They are really noisy and not as good mothers.
You can get such great colors in angora and it takes dye like crazy. We figure that it costs us, about $150 per year per goat. We feed a lot of hay, though. If you would like to discuss angoras more just pm me. You can also check out our website www.gypsy-ridge-farm.com
I am def interested in an angora! Do you know anyone selling them? (I'm in NY...) I'd love to have a wether, but could get a doe instead. It wouldn't need to be registered... I googled and found nothing in my area and I tried rescues too...

secuono

Herd Master
Reaction score
One thing you should remember is to take it very SLOW! Everything in this economy is dang near failing. Nothing sells like it used to, most people have dropped their prices from thousands to almost free! So, take it slow, use animals that can have multiple uses and do not expect to actually make money...
I'm doing the same with my animals, sheep and rabbits for wool, pelts, meat, selling their young, anything I can do with them, but always have the ability to eat them if all else fails as to not go into debt holding over for a better economy...

SheepGirl

Master of Sheep
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
I know New York has a sheep and wool festival...if you can, go there and you will learn a lot.

craftymama86

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
We just bought a couple of super cute English Angora bunnies and they are SUPER soft, not to mention beautiful. We'll also be getting an Angora/Lionhead mix rabbit Monday, she's also beautiful, lovely colors. We are new to having rabbits and are just learning about spinning etc. but I think Angora rabbits are an awesome choice for fibers. Hope that helps. :D

sweetcriations

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Hi all. There are many outlets for fiber. Festivals, spinning guilds and knitting guilds you can market to. Also, not knowing what states you are in, there may be a fiber organization in your state, such as in Ohio we have ONFN (Ohio Natural Fiber Network) that is for ALL fiber animals and farms. The organization sets up booths at different events and allows us to combine our efforts in selling our items made from Ohio fiber. If we can't personally go to an event, others that can go will handle our items for us. A lot of great teamwork.

I hope this helps. I've been the chair of the Fiber Committee for the National Alpaca organization (AOBA) for the past 4 years so if I can help you in anyway, please let me know.

Jo Anne Leonard
Sweet Criations Alpaca Farm
Hudson, OH

Ninny

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Hello! I've been thinking of doing this as well. So I'll be watching this thread.

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
I would get a sheep breed that would be good to blend with the alpaca. Something with a soft, high quality fiber. I had an Angora rabbit and it ended up being too much work for me to take care of her and shear her on a regular basis. There just wasn't enough wool to make it worth my while.

In order to make money, the best way is to sell finished products. You could find people or groups that take fiber and turn it into finished products if you don't want to do it yourself. I have 2 friends that do make money on selling fiber items. Finished goods like hats and gloves and scarves and socks. Yarn is very popular. Died yarn and roving is also popular. Rugs are very popular and can use up that leg and neck wool. One of my friends also offers classes on fiber crafts. Both my friends are in alpacas. The one friend makes some items but mostly buys from the alpaca co-op. The other friend takes her processed fiber to other people and pays them to make things. I would not suggest selling expensive items like sweaters or just have a couple for sale. Cheaper items that will be used often like socks and hats, etc usually sell well. Yarn is also a big seller for both my friends.

The money both my friends make is enough to be like a part time job. They couldn't live on it but a nice supplemental income.

Latest posts