fiber question

Ninny

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
So I am getting 5lbs of raw alpaca fiber in the next week or two. I have no carders of any kind so I am borrowing my friends drum carder. However, she uses it for wool. Is this going to be a probelm? I'm worried about it not being fine enough. I have dog brushes to use as hand carders if I need to. I have read both to wash it and not to wash it. Any tips? I have never started with raw fleece before. Also has anyone ever built a spinning wheel? I have drop spindles but I would like a wheel. Also do I need a light weight spindle? I have a both a top and bottom medium weight ones. Thanks!

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
As long as the drum carder is clean, I don't see a problem. You just card it multiple times. You could also use the dog brushes. Alpaca is wool too. Never used a spindle before so I don't know. Some people wash, some don't. I guess that one is up to you. It will also depend on how dirty the fleece. If the fleece is clean, then you don't have to wash it. If it is very dirty, you are going to want to wash it.

Ninny

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Thanks! I think I'll wash it. Now to decide what to do with it. I'm getting 2lbs white and 1lb each of light brown, dark brown and gray. My friend who has them wanted me to make him things instead of paying for them. I want to see how this year goes first. What do you suggest doing with it? I want to have a lb to dye and keep a lb natural of the white. I would like to have things to take to a craft show this fall. So i'm thinking hats winter stuff.

Ninny

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
HankTheTank said:
Alpaca underwear! :lol:
I could market a line of lingerie for use in cold climates! :gig

I am trying to get a hold of the mill by me. She does dyeing as well. Im wanting to know how it comes back when it's dyed. I'm hopeing in some way I can sell it. If then I going to get a lot more fiber and sell dyed roving or yarn I hope.

Latest posts