Field fence for goats?

WindyWillowsFarm

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Hi all,

We are about to fence in 2 large paddocks (about 1400 ft of fencing) for our LaManchas and were planning on doing field fencing like this with metal T posts every 12'
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/p...field-fence-14-ga-47-in-x-330-ft?cm_vc=-10005

It says it is not recommended for goats, but can anyone tell me why it wouldn't work? We use cattle panels currently in a smaller area and move them frequently (which is exhausting and we are over it!). We tried electric netting, but the one doeling has separation anxiety and kept trying to get through it and got stuck in and that could have been a disaster. They aren't really jumpers, but do tend to stand on the cattle panels now. Any advice on affordable fencing would be appreciated. We have about a $1200 budget for posts and fencing.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
The biggest reason this is not recommended for goats is because the 6" vertical stays... because many/most goats have horns and they will get caught in it and not be able to get their heads out. 4" verticals or 12" verticals are better for animals with horns. 4 " they can't get their heads in and get stuck, 12" and they can normally get their heads maneuvered around and get out if they have horns.
If your goats don't have horns, then there is no reason not to use it. Also, it is considered the standard size in the cattle industry.

Personally I have no use for the 12" verticals as the cows will try to work their heads through and then can stretch it out and get the fence all stretched out of shape.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
OK brand sheep and goat wire comes in a 330’ roll with 4”x4” holes and is a much better fence. It is currently priced at $380 a roll at Tractor supply. Look around at different stores, I was able to find some at $350 per roll. Also, put T-posts no more than 10’ apart. If you can’t swing the sheep and goat wire, then use the field fence. You may have to place hot wire on the inside to keep the goats from climbing and rubbing on the fence and tearing it up. Be sure to position the t-posts for placement of the insulators for the hot wire.

Watch Craigslist and FB Marketplace daily for T-posts. Tractor Supply has the best prices on t-posts.

Take your budget as far as it will go. You may have to fence in stages as you can afford it. Gates should be 12’ or 16’ depending on if you will be taking a tractor, large lawn mower or truck or truck and trailer in the pasture.

I’ve done this on 16 acres in field fence and had horses and cows. They tore it up. Then we bought a place with 8 acres and fenced it in non climb horse wire. Kept the horses, sold the cows. Bought sheep! Sold that, about to close on 25 acres that I have to fence and cross fence for my sheep. I’m getting better at this! LOL

WindyWillowsFarm

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
OK brand sheep and goat wire comes in a 330’ roll with 4”x4” holes and is a much better fence. It is currently priced at $380 a roll at Tractor supply. Look around at different stores, I was able to find some at $350 per roll. Also, put T-posts no more than 10’ apart. If you can’t swing the sheep and goat wire, then use the field fence. You may have to place hot wire on the inside to keep the goats from climbing and rubbing on the fence and tearing it up. Be sure to position the t-posts for placement of the insulators for the hot wire.

Watch Craigslist and FB Marketplace daily for T-posts. Tractor Supply has the best prices on t-posts.

Take your budget as far as it will go. You may have to fence in stages as you can afford it. Gates should be 12’ or 16’ depending on if you will be taking a tractor, large lawn mower or truck or truck and trailer in the pasture.

I’ve done this on 16 acres in field fence and had horses and cows. They tore it up. Then we bought a place with 8 acres and fenced it in non climb horse wire. Kept the horses, sold the cows. Bought sheep! Sold that, about to close on 25 acres that I have to fence and cross fence for my sheep. I’m getting better at this! LOL
Thanks for the insight, when you say they tore it up, what did they do to it? Break all the welds, push it over and escape?

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Here's the thing -- goats JUST KNOW everything is better on the other side! :lol:

They climb to reach a tree leaf, push thru for the same grass that's on their side and any weed they see. Goats are excellent jumpers. Challenges are fun for them. They can crawl under, push thru or attempt any escape. Since they like to travel together, one out and others follow. They are harder on fence than any other animal I have raised. It's their nature.

Some are worse than others. My best containment has been goat/sheep 4x4 opening and no climb 2x4 opening...both woven, NOT welded, min of tight 4'. Just electric alone doesn't work but, adding a couple lines helps slow them, only with a big jolt!! Solar do not seem to give that. So plug ins!

Goats are individual personalities. Some never give issues, others it's an hourly thing. 😁

WindyWillowsFarm

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Here's the thing -- goats JUST KNOW everything is better on the other side! :lol:

They climb to reach a tree leaf, push thru for the same grass that's on their side and any weed they see. Goats are excellent jumpers. Challenges are fun for them. They can crawl under, push thru or attempt any escape. Since they like to travel together, one out and others follow. They are harder on fence than any other animal I have raised. It's their nature.

Some are worse than others. My best containment has been goat/sheep 4x4 opening and no climb 2x4 opening...both woven, NOT welded, min of tight 4'. Just electric alone doesn't work but, adding a couple lines helps slow them, only with a big jolt!! Solar do not seem to give that. So plug ins!

Goats are individual personalities. Some never give issues, others it's an hourly thing. 😁
You're right about that. I'm hoping with an acre to eat, they will feel less inclined to try to escape, but if this fence with a hot wire does not work, we might be switching to sheep! Their milk is supposed to be just divine and higher in milk solids and vitamins anyway. haha we will see.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
You mentioned in a recent post asking about what the animals did to tear up the fencing... did they break the welds.... DO NOT use welded fencing. It will keep some poultry contained, it is useful if nailed to a frame like for a chicken run....BUT DO NOT USE WELDED fence for "farm animals." You want field fencing of some sort that is either hinge joint or fixed knot.... and 4" vertical stays is better for sheep and goats but 6" is workable for POLLED breeds. But they can get their heads through it and will put more "wear and tear" on it...
Welded wire will just break the welds... and cattle have "broken the welds" on the 16 ft cattle panels although they are pretty sturdy.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
And THAT’S why I have sheep!

On the field fencing, I had horses and cattle. The horses pawed the fence and popped the wire. Cows tried to put their heads through a 6” hole—-and did. Personally I wouldn’t put up field fencing if it was free. Welded wire is trash, just trash, not fit for livestock.

The 2”x4” non climb was great wire. No complaints except price.

I’m in a temporary place right now. Fencing is a combination of cow panels and the OK Brand sheep and goat wire with 4” holes. I will be using this to fence the 25 acres I’m buying.

What @Mini Horses and @farmerjan said! Goats are devious conniving creatures looking for a way out!

MTKitty

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
My fence guy recommended (and did) welded wire around my pasture. He and I discussed that I would have goats. He and his wife have goats, so he was familiar with their antics. He also put the posts only 10’ apart, rather than the 12’ you mention.
I’ve talked with a breeder I will get goats from. She uses cattle panels for her smaller pens (kidding and other reasons for corralling). She mentioned some breeds/individuals are more respectful of fences than others (fwiw).