fighting while eating grain

Katie burgoyne

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
We have 2 male alpacas they are about 1.5 years old, one is in tact and one is not.

We have had them a little over a month and in that time one got neutered (he was running from the dog and jumped the fence and well we had to have him nurtured because he almost did it himself). Whenever I feed them grain they will almost fight with each other over the grain. I feed them in separate buckets, but while eating it they will spit at each other and jump on each other. Not sure how to handle this or just let it be? I give them each about a cup and a half of grain a day (which I think after getting on here is too much and needs to be cut down)

Thank you for any advice

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
If they are halter trained, could you halter them up and tie them away from each other? or just feed them farther apart?

Katie burgoyne

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
If they are halter trained, could you halter them up and tie them away from each other? or just feed them farther apart?

They aren't halter trained, I can feed them in separate areas. I'm having my husband build a place where I can feed them from over the fence so I don't keep getting spit on. Just wasn't sure if this is normal behavior

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I don't have alpacas, but it is normal behavior for practically any animal to "want it ALL". My horses have their feed tubs in specific places and I must feed them in proper order or they get all goofy-biting and kicking at each other.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
My two fuss at each other over their alpaca/llama maintenance pellets but I don't think to the extent yours do. When they eat inside they have the little bins that hook over the top of a 2x narrow side up, ie their gate in the barn alley. They do get a bit pushy and Laddie will spit at Teddy. I think it would be best if you fed yours a goodly distance apart. Probably they will down their own before going to bother the other.

Mine each probably get about a cup to a cup and a half a day, two "feedings". I try to hand feed mine (*) out in the pasture behind the barn. They can get fussy then and Teddy will give Laddie the stink eye or neck push him and Laddie will back away and maybe not get his. But I'm working on making Teddy wait and alternate which gets some next. I can often be heard saying "Eat what is in your face first!" when they come back in on the other's turn.

* Bribing them into thinking death is not imminent every time I look at them.

Farmer Connie

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I have blinder dividers to minimize alpha & greed. The sound & site of the weaker ones makes the stronger push away the smaller weaker ones. I don't care what anyone says.. Goats are worse than chickens w/pecking order. I stick around during feeding to avoid having the tiny ones deprived from their share. I am a meal moderator. lol

Farmer Connie

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I don't have alpacas, but it is normal behavior for practically any animal to "want it ALL". My horses have their feed tubs in specific places and I must feed them in proper order or they get all goofy-biting and kicking at each other.
Feel the ears of he small weak ones. :epthey sometimes have bite wound lumps. :barnieThe alpha bullies bite the ears of the weak. I really hate that.:rant I represent the little guys..
LL (1).gif
I pull out the big ones who don't share at grain time. :oldI am the "Grain Nazi".. NO GRAIN FOR YOU!
laugh.gif

Why can't we all just get along??
1165822-b7fa878622c87676d7747bb664559ca3.jpg.gif

Katie burgoyne

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Feel the ears of he small weak ones. :epthey sometimes have bite wound lumps. :barnieThe alpha bullies bite the ears of the weak. I really hate that.:rant I represent the little guys.. View attachment 40652 I pull out the big ones who don't share at grain time. :oldI am the "Grain Nazi".. NO GRAIN FOR YOU! View attachment 40653

Why can't we all just get along??View attachment 40651

They are both little guys, about 95 lbs. Smaller guy is the one that can be more of a butt head.

I think it's more me, I'm pretty sure he doesn't like me. He doesn't ever do it around my husband.