Figuring out how much fencing

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
You only have 'Lot 2'? Who owns 'outlot B'?

It is interesting isn't it. A 60' Right Of Way that runs along the west edge of both lots 1 & 2.

I really don't know what to say about that fence.
Never seen anything like it.

And you've seen more than most of us. Clearly created by someone who didn't have a mentor and maybe before you could learn almost anything with Google and YouTube ;)

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
You only have 'Lot 2'? Who owns 'outlot B'?

The outlot is not unusual. I wouldn't be surprised to find that the property owners of Lot#1 and Lot #2 etc actually own the outlot but have no use of it. There would be no reason to show the 60' outlot on the properties above and below the lots#1,2. Until 2015, I owned some property that had the same thing show on survey. Property line on the survey plat actually extended out into the middle of a paved county road.
In the early days, especially in Western states, people didn't buy small lots--they bought BIG lots (not to be confused with BigLots) full sections or several full sections, out in the middle of nowhere. (a section=1 sq mile). Some states, they didn't even have to purchase them--they just went out and staked off 'their' property and filed a land claim deed with the nearest state or territorial govt office, usually the state capitol. There were eventually surveys done as more and more people settled the region and these first surveys contained thousands and thousands of acres per landowner, and even as each big parcel began to be subdivided and sold off, each individual survey is still known by either the landholder of the original Big parcel, or by the person that performed the survey. My land, has a property # of course, but it is part of the original William Dobie survey..Dobie being an early (1800s) Texas surveyor. I so states on the deed and on the survey plat.

Since there were few roads in the early times, they obviously weren't on surveys. Owners had kids, and they had kids and their kids had kids and each time, the Big Lot was divided up more and more and roads were needed to town, but "somebody" owned all the land, so people had to grant right of ways for roads, especially after the advent of the automobile. In Texas, the survey still shows the property lines extending out into the roadway, and the landowner still 'owns' it legally but has no use of it any moreso than any other motorist and usually pays no taxes on that part.

I think I have posted this before, but will do so again. This is the Farm to Market Road 945 out in front of my place, part I still own, part I sold in 2015. My property is (was) to the right of the pic :
dea_006.JPG

Guess where my property line is.

Here's a copy of the plat from the survey. (note the reference to Willam Dobie Survey at the bottom right)

If you look close, you can see the property line actually extends out into FM945, with a right of way:

17.4.jpg

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Those corner posts don't look so great to me, I think I'd get new ones and use the old ones for the cross bar in the "H" brace (after cutting off the part that has been in the ground). And I would take up the old wire. It can be a pain in the backside when trying to tighten up horse or goat wire, as the wire will hang up on the barbs of the old wire. Besides, it would look like crap and why hang new wire over old wire? What I'm saying in sorta a nice way is......just put up a new fence.

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
Not bad advice at all Baymule. Only thing I'd leave in place was the tee posts if, they are in the right place.
Those corner posts don't look so great to me, I think I'd get new ones and use the old ones for the cross bar in the "H" brace (after cutting off the part that has been in the ground). And I would take up the old wire. It can be a pain in the backside when trying to tighten up horse or goat wire, as the wire will hang up on the barbs of the old wire. Besides, it would look like crap and why hang new wire over old wire? What I'm saying in sorta a nice way is......just put up a new fence.
/\ /\ /\
Without a doubt, the best course of action.
A permanent fence, especially a perimeter fence, should last decades. For that to happen, it must have good solid corners and/or ends before the rest of the fence is erected.

Alexz7272

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
@Latestarter Have you ever told you how much I love the English language? ;)

@greybeard Thank you for explaining it more! That is exactly it, we technically own further out then our fence line but it is used by the Peoples Republic of Boulder (county) to maintain the road & gas line they have running to all our farms.

@Baymule I am gathering the same idea at this point. The t-posts are spaced correctly, so I'll buy some new posts!

Thank you!

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Just yesterday We walked our fence line that we haven't finished yet. The back half is an old barb wire fence, half rotted brace posts and shorter than I want, T-posts. I mentioned pulling it all up. I got a lot of grief from DH on why we should leave it, or better yet just attach to the fence behind us-which is a highwire fence offset 4'. I explained that no we couldn't do ANY of that, argued then finally said that I was doing it my way.

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
@Latestarter

@greybeard Thank you for explaining it more! That is exactly it, we technically own further out then our fence line but it is used by the Peoples Republic of Boulder (county) to maintain the road & gas line they have running to all our farms.

Thank you!
Tho it is partially cut off on the picture of your plat, the survey notes even tells you how much of "your" property is in the ROW (outlot B).
1.498ac. (since the 1 and period were missing, I just multiplied 60' x 1087.18' and arrived at 1.4974ac) The pic of my property plat does as well, just above where the driveway is indicated.