filthy sheep.

Bossroo

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
That breeding practice works ONLY if the ram to be used is of TOP BREEDING QUALITY and has NO identifiable genetic flaws. If I were you I would have a top quality sheep judge / University sheep scientist/ Sheep Veterinarian evaluate the ram before you jump in and use this ram. Using a poorer quality ram will only make your future ewe flock much less desirable. :old

RamahRanch

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
What's a good breeding practice for a normal not perfect ram?

RamahRanch

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I let the alpacas in the sheep lot and they have been doing great grazing together

Attachments

• 20150828_090751.jpg
    20150828_090751.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 126

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Are you planning on a commercial flock or a show flock? If you are breeding terminal sheep (for meat market) it doesn't matter. You don't have to keep the ewe lambs if you don't like them. Sell them for meat. Your ram should be the best you can afford since he will be half of your herd now, and the base for your future herd through his daughters. It goes without saying that you don't use a poor quality ram on any of your stock. However, if you are buying from a trustworthy breeder with quality stock they will try to make sure you get a high quality ram that will match up genetically with your ewes. A good breeder will not want you producing poor quality stock out of a ram with his name on it. Some breeders, unfortunately, are only in it for the $$ so you should check around and talk to their other customers. If their other customers are happy with the animals they got from them, ok.
Buying an outcross ram (totally unrelated to your ewes) is no guarantee that their genetics will mesh well though. Some lines produce beautiful, healthy, sound animals when combined, others don't. When starting out with a new breed it is safer to use line breeding (animals that are slightly related - 2nd cousins or further). Breed your new ram to your ewes for 2 years and if you don't like what you are producing, replace him. He may be half your herd, but he is only 1 animal. His daughters can be bred to the new ram and their lambs will improve.
I replaced our ram this year. He was a beautiful ram but was taller than I wanted for my Dorset flock. I like shorter, stockier animals since there isn't much meat below the knee! LOL He produced healthy beautiful lambs every month of the year. I was very satisfied with him but since I have nice granddaughters (by him out of his granddaughters) I wanted another ram. I could have used him for another year but decided to play it safe and replaced him. The new ram (I don't know if he is visible in the avatar wearing his marking harness) is ideal. He is shorter, stockier and very thick. I am really thrilled with him. I have gone back each time to my original breeders (now friends) because I was so happy with what they sold me. I was honest with what I wanted and they have chosen exactly what I needed with each purchase, ewe or ram. If you can make contacts among Dorper breeders, and get that sort of relationship, it will pay off. My friends import rams from out of state to improve their large flock. I get the benefit by buying a ram out of their import that is marginally related to my foundation ewes. I know going in that he will do well for me because his dad did well on the same bloodlines for my breeder friends. Since you are still a small breeder too, it is in your best interests to establish some contacts with different Dorper breeders. You might look on line for a Dorper chat site where you will hear about the breed.
If you are breeding for show, the rules change a little. Your ram must conform to the fashion that is currently winning. Yes, there are fashions in show sheep and goats! The breeding stock will be more expensive. Showing is expensive and takes time and traveling.
If you are going for a top commercial flock, your objectives will be different too. Show people can produce a few excellent animals and will have a market for expensive breeding stock. The commercial Dorper or Dorset breeder on the other hand needs to produce animals that breed year round (not important to show people because they breed for birthdates for show classes) sturdy, hardy animals that lamb easily and milk generously, are easy keepers and fatten on pasture (you can't afford to pour grain down a commercial herd to eat up your profits), and most importantly you need animals that are uniform in size and quality for the packer or your customers. As a commercial producer one or two good animals out of a trailer load won't do. I believe they sell by the lb. so you want all of them to fatten consistently.
I still envy all your grass! Are you able to cut your unfenced pasture and store the grass hay for the winter?

RamahRanch

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
There's not to many dorper breeders that I have found in colorado but there's a few. I'm sure there's more they are just hard to find. The gal I got my ewes from is getting a new ram from a Texas breeder that she got her current rams from. She was going to pick me one up in septrmber. I've seen a few on craigslist but not sure of the quality of them.

Right now I don't have any equitment to bale hay. So it just goes to waist. I'm sure I could get someone to come do it for me. Guy up the road said $6 a small bale. But I can get any hay of my choice for $10 or under a bale at the feed store.

I hope to be able to build a pretty big flock and get into commercial sales. I'm young and have the time to put into it. And if it doesn't work out I will be raising my kids around livestock and hard work so it's a win win.

But it's all new to me so I have plenty to learn

Last edited:

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
The benefit to your children is absolutely great! They will also learn as they go so by the time they are in high school will be almost as proficient as you, and will be able to take an active part in the breeding, maintaining, etc of your flock. Working on a ranch, large or small (mine) gives kids the right priorities - feed animals before yourselves, work hard, do it right the first time or it all has to be done again! All lessons as important as scholastics, but harder to teach these days.
What is nice is that my kids (grown now) can still look at the sheep or horses and identify a problem and let me know. When we are out of town or away, they are quite capable of pulling a lamb or kid, vacinating, docking, castrating or anything else. It stays with them.
It sounds as though your breeder knows Dorpers and should be able to get you something that will go with your bloodlines. She will be a valuable resource for you as well. It sounds as though you are on the right track. Right now it sounds as though buying your hay at the feed store for 5 or 6 sheep is the best way to go. Eventually, you might find a tractor mower and rake at a farm auction, or privately with someone buying a new mower/baler and selling his old one. When you start to get a good sized herd it may make sense to save that $4/bale depending on how much you use during the winter. When you start figuring your winter usage in tons per month, it might make sense to find a used mower. Now, it will be easier to buy at the feed store as you need it. Remember if you are cutting and baling you have to store it somewhere and if you don't have hayshed or barn storage it means building one. With putting your money into fencing, a small flock just building up over the next few years, and lots of pasture, you are smart to buy your hay now. No sense rushing in too soon and overextending yourself on time or expenses. Sounds like you are doing the right thing. I look forward to seeing a photo of the new ram when he arrives.

RamahRanch

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Well I gave them a quick rub down with some baby oil and it totally worked. I gave them a little grain and just worked it in quick while they were eating. Next day they were clean.

Attachments

• 20150831_190426.jpg
    20150831_190426.jpg
    170.3 KB · Views: 129

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
Isn't she bright and shiny now :) My horse used to get cleaned at the end of summer only unless we were going somewhere special. The sticky stuff would even rub off on the nose piece of his bridle and I would have to clean all of that stuff too. It was a painful job for a 15 year old kid.

RamahRanch

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I got a ram from half circle six ranch in Texas. Better pictures to come.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-10-17-09-04-00.png
    Screenshot_2015-10-17-09-04-00.png
    307 KB · Views: 110