Final Necropsy Results on Fourth Dead Kid In. Nope. Nope. Nope :(

SkyWarrior

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Trouble comes in threes, I guess. :barnie Hopefully this one won't end up with a dead kid like the other two.
nti-to
I have a 3 week old buckling, named Blackjack, who is scouring big time. I mean, the diarrhea is all down his back legs. It's bad. Really bad. This afternoon when we found out, I guessed it was probably coccidia, given his age. I gave him Corrid-20 and gave him C&D antitoxin just in case. After about 6 hours when I fed, he still was squirting. I gave him some pepto-bismol because I don't want a dead kid.

I will pick up probios tomorrow or may make a yogurt probiotic to give to him. I will continue the Corrid. Other things to do to keep me from losing this little guy?

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
Can you run a fecal?

I have heard that Corid (amprollium) is very ineffective. It also is a thiamine inhibitor, causing secondary issues for your goat. You may want to use Di-methox (Sulfadimethoxine).

TSC doesn't have it but most other feed stores do, but I would call first.

I asked @Pearce Pastures some time ago how she treats kids with cocci (using Di-methox) (Thanks Pearce!)

Yeah, Corid is no good and I am sticking to that. It is a thiamine antagonist---looks like thiamine so much so that the body thinks it is thiamine too and stops making its own. The cocci ingest the fake thiamine and starve to death. But the goat can have serious issues if they don't produce enough real thiamine (polioencephelitis).

Di-Methox 40% is what we use. You can get it in liquid form from Jeffers or what I do is order the 12.5% powder and mix it to a much stronger concentration so that the goats do get 40% out of it.

Here is what I give to people buying goats from us...feel free to pass it along or use it however you like.
----------------------
Coccidiosis , a very common problem in young kids, are a parasitic protozoa that while normally present in small numbers in goats, can overrun and kill a kid whose immune system is just building. Some of the many medications available are used for prevention, some for use when there is an issue, and some for both. We use Di-Methox 40% because it is an effective and safe preventative and treatment and we strongly recommend having it on hand even before bringing your goats home. It can be ordered in liquid or powdered from online supply stores such as Jeffers.com and may be available from your local farm store (TSC does not carry this but do carry some treatments that we have not found to be very effective in prevention and they cannot treat coccidiosis once it has developed so we have stuck with what we know works). We use the powdered version because it is cheaper and can be stored dry until needed).

If you chose to do as we do, this is how we mix, store, and use it:

The directions on the label are for making a liquid that is 12.5% Di-Methox.
For the 40% strength that we want, we do as follows:
Prepare the mixture and begin preventative treatment when the goat is 21 days old (this is the prime age for issues with coccidia). Your goats will probably gag and act like you are trying to kill them because this medicine is bitter-in the long run though, a few minutes of bad taste will be better than the horrible illness or death that can result from coccidiosis.

• Get a clean, glass jar that has a screw on lid.
• In the jar, mix the packet with 1.5 cups water.
• Weigh your animal as accurately as you can.
• Using a plastic syringe, administer 1.6cc per 5 pounds of your animals weight on day one of the five day treatment.
• Then for the next 5 days, administer 1.6cc per 10 pounds.

Store the jar in the refrigerator. The solution will likely separate and should be warmed to room temperature and stirred for it to dissolve again prior to use.

If it is really bad you may want to give him some electrolytes too.

I am so sorry you are having a bad year! :hugsHoping your little guy will be ok :hugs

SkyWarrior

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Can you run a fecal?

I have heard that Corid (amprollium) is very ineffective. It also is a thiamine inhibitor, causing secondary issues for your goat. You may want to use Di-methox (Sulfadimethoxine).

TSC doesn't have it but most other feed stores do, but I would call first.

I asked @Pearce Pastures some time ago how she treats kids with cocci (using Di-methox) (Thanks Pearce!)

If it is really bad you may want to give him some electrolytes too.

I am so sorry you are having a bad year! :hugsHoping your little guy will be ok :hugs

We're really limited on coccidiastat. The best I've got is Corid. Lucky me. We don't even have a TSC. I'll check Murdochs, but I don't think they have it.

would electrolytes be good to give?

:hugs and :fl

I'll pick up some unflavored pedialyte. That should work.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
From what I've been told, you don't need to pay the price for pedialite when you can pick up a bottle of gatorade (or one of the knock-off drinks) and get the exact same thing for a fraction of the cost.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
Corid should work ok but not preferred. Hope that it clears up quickly. I haven't used Corid in years so can't tell you how quickly you should see improvement but I am guessing more than 6 hours.

I posted this a few years ago but thought I would share again. A friend gave me this recipe for scours and it works. The "I" is my friend, not me. But I have used this a few times.

1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp clove
2 tsp ginger
2 tsp slippery elm (health food stores or Hoeggers Goat Supply)
1 tsp garlic ( I use liquid)
2 cups of water

Bring to slow simmer on low heat while stirring.
I then place in jar and cover and allow to cool for about 20 minutes.
I have been using it for
the past few years with awesome results.
Give 6-12 cc's orally several times a day.
I have also mixed it with scour halt with very good results

Since I already had some of this mixed up I then added:
cayenne and thyme. I used a teaspoon of each because my babies are in the 50-70 pound range, well, most of them, Figured it wouldn't hurt the little babies.

SkyWarrior

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Thanks Babsbag!

Well, I have some guardedly good news. This morning before I went to the farmer's market, I brought more Corid with me and gave Blackjack another dose for today. He was scouring still and it was awful. So I went to Murdoch's and bought scour-chek, some electrolytes called "Bounce Back," some Ivermectin, and probios (because I've been out). I also bought the liquid version of Corid because it's a pain trying to mix it for the goats.

When I came home, I noticed the poop wasn't quite running out of him. I had my DH rinse Blackjack's back end with water and then I gave him scour-chek, electrolytes, probios, and Ivermectin. Surprisingly, he took them all very well and even drank nearly 3/4 a bottle of electrolytes -- and he isn't a bottle baby! When I fed tonight, the diarrhea appeared to have stopped. I gave him more electrolytes, probios, and gave him a B-complex shot since he's getting Corid. Loved the electrolytes and probios; unhappy with the shot. He drank off mom and ate some hay while I was there. He looks better. :fl

Yeah, I went shotgun approach with him. Sue me. Having two dead baby goats is enough to make you throw everything at a kid. o_O

I don't know if the Corid or the C&D antitoxin worked and he was on the mend or whether it was anything else I did. At this stage, I'm just holding my breath and hoping for a live kid tomorrow. :caf

Pearce Pastures

Barn Babe
Reaction score
Hope he improves. Corid really is not effective as a treatment once cocci have taken hold and the high dosage of it that it takes to try to treat put you on alert for issues with thiamine. Can you place an online order or grab a few tablets from a vet? It might be worth having on hand anyway and Jeffers will ship it asap. I wish I was near you because I would give you a packet.

Pearce Pastures

Barn Babe
Reaction score
Adding another thought--- the slowing of scours would be from the pepto/scour-check, and he is probably being helped by the use of electrolytes. The CDT and Corid are not likely treating this but keeping him from getting dehydrated is a good move. Corid will help the cocci from being able to continue growing.

Last edited: