Finally a DIY feeder I like

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I like the picture of the two story "goat apartment" building. I wouldn't like cleaning it out though. LOL

secuono

Herd Master
Reaction score
Looking around for a panel with slightly smaller holes to test out though.
View attachment 52822 View attachment 52823

The new feeders-
FB_IMG_1540947302916.jpg

WILLIFORD

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
That does look like a really nice feeder. I struggled to come up with a temporary feeder as my goats are not in there perminant Spot, this is only for the winter since they are pretty small. My first attempt got one of my goat ankle hurt. That was two weeks ago. He still limps, but he has no problem headbutting his brothers, flying through the air, or even pawing at me with his injured leg. I’m starting to wonder if he limps for attention, because he sure does get a lot of that. So I attempted to modify it. That seems to work pretty well. But, I really like the looks of yours. You did a really nice job building it. Did you use a pattern or is this your own design?
It is my own design. I plan to build a roof system that opens, for easy filling, before the wet weather comes.

WILLIFORD

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I built something similar a few years back as a mineral self feeder for cattle back and quickly realized it could be moved around much easier by dragging after I added a 4x4 skid on each side, right at the ends, (but under) the ground supports you have.
Mine had a roof, so was top heavy and it was difficult to move on fel forks without it trying to tip over. Much easier to just drag it. I've moved it as much as 1/4-3/8 mile before.
I do plan to put a roof on it before the wet weather comes. I think I'm going to use two pieces of 1/2" ply that are hinged to the feeder grids n each side. That way both panels will open for filling. What are your thoughts?

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
I do plan to put a roof on it before the wet weather comes. I think I'm going to use two pieces of 1/2" ply that are hinged to the feeder grids n each side. That way both panels will open for filling. What are your thoughts?
Honestly, there's no easy or convenient way if it's of any size at all. Mine hinges at the ridgeline, and I prop it up when I fill it with mineral. For hay, probably be best to do as you indicate, hinge each side on the outside/lower edge. Full opening hinges would help, as that would allow each flap to hang straight down with no stress on the hinge or whatever wooden member the hinges attach to. Might be a bit of a pita to get closed but doable if it isn't a huge feeder.

WILLIFORD

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
That does look like a really nice feeder. I struggled to come up with a temporary feeder as my goats are not in there perminant Spot, this is only for the winter since they are pretty small. My first attempt got one of my goat ankle hurt. That was two weeks ago. He still limps, but he has no problem headbutting his brothers, flying through the air, or even pawing at me with his injured leg. I’m starting to wonder if he limps for attention, because he sure does get a lot of that. So I attempted to modify it. That seems to work pretty well. But, I really like the looks of yours. You did a really nice job building it. Did you use a pattern or is this your own design?
This was my own design. I have since added a gambled roof to it, too keep the rain out. one side of the gable is hinged to make it easy to refill. I just used roof two pieces of it, with
This is my own design. I have since added a gambled roof too it, to keep the rain out. I just used 2 pieces of 1/2" exterior plywood to create the roof. I side of the roof is hinged to make it easy to refill. When I have time I will upload a new picture with the roof