Finally...and then there were 4...next a little pink.done. group photo

()relics

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
As some of you know, I have been waiting for my last 2 groups of does to be "ready" to kid. Wednesday night I couldn't take it any longer and moved the first group into the barn, to settle them in for kidding. Thursday morning around 1130 I went into the barn to find these 2 little devils fighting over which teat belonged to whom. So the begining of the 2nd to last group starts with 2 bucklings. 7# 14 oz on the traditional and 6#11 oz on the solid...Both were up and nearly dry with no help from me....Just the way I like it...

490_035.jpg

they will both be wethered and ready for market by Mid-December....3 more does to follow shortly in this group, then back to the pasture with them to make room for THE LAST of my Z kids...

()relics

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
So I am just finishing the first post...and decide I really should check on the doe and her new kids. I get to the barn and see doe #2 all hunched up and contracting.....5 minutes or so later boy #1 is on the ground but we aren't finished....a couple more minutes boy #2 is on the ground....Both are up and nursing in less than 15 minutes, again with no help...2 traditional bucklings first out weighs 7# and the second weighs 7# 12oz....must be something in the water around here...2 does down 2 to go, with 4 boys and counting...Both of these boys will be wethered and most likely go to market in December, the smaller wether has some show potential but we will see how he shapes up....this picture is with my phone that is covered in....Yucky stuff....so it isn't very clear....its is maybe 10 minutes after boy #2 hit the ground....the only thing I did was scatter some shavings around to dry a spot for her...She did the rest. The smaller buckling has the spot on his back.

490_052.jpg

I did take random pictures throughout the whole birthing process...I'm sure everyone has seen the deal before but I add my own color commentary to the event...Kind of messy...slightly funny...I may post it some day with an R rating.

warthog

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Congratulations they are so cute, I too like the solid buck from the first doe. He is so handsome. :celebrate

()relics

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I have 2 more does in this group, 1 more commercial and 1 fullblood. I tried to breed all the does in each group to kid within a few days of each other, ideally. These girls all kiddded within 5 days last december and they are right on pace to repeat.... That way when 1 group is done kidding they all move out and stay together, even the kids will stay as a group and either be fed for market or added to the herd as replacements...Just works best for me that way... I have 1 more group that will kid before the first of the year. They are in the pasture now until they get closer...then inside they go, probably sometime just before thanksgiving. Incidently these commercial girls were from one of my original groups and they are all still together.

()relics

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Hopefully the buckling storm will pass before the FB kids...if you know what I mean